Gios torino questions on identification of year etc

Nicktid

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

I have just bought a Gios torino and I have a few questions about establishing the age and confirming that the forks are correct?
At present I have no pictures but I could post some in the next day or so.

The frame has been re-painted by ARGOS and currently has their name on it on the downtube, (the previous owner had them repaint it some while ago) but I am not concerned about that as I plan to get it repainted as original.
It has the Gios torino features you would expect:
Gios rivetted on headbadge.
The top of the seat stays are the correct shape but do not have any embossed Gios names on them.
There are small drillings around the rear dropout slots.
The gear cables run above the bottom bracket.
Under the bottom bracket is embossed with 'Gios' in proper Gios script and there is '54' stamped on it which is obviously the size.
There is no other visible frame number?
Are the frames normally numbered? How else do you date them?
I have not yet removed the forks to check the fork steerer tube for stampings (will do this evening though).
The forks are my main query, they are painted (no chrome on the frame or forks) and they have a simple plain sloping crown and no embossed 'Gios' or other monogram present?
About 50mm below the crown extending about 75mm down the legs there is a section which has been 'slightly flattened' towards the rear edge? This is clearly meant to be there and is identical on both sides.
Does it seem like they are the correct Gios forks? It is possible that they were replaced at some time I guess?
Maybe they did more than 1 spec of torino frame, I know they did a 'Professional' model.
I don't want to have the forks refinished along with the frame, if I should really be looking for another pair? I would need ones with a 150mm fork tube.
I know there were several variations of forks, including the ones with the inset medallions and chrome ones with either 'Gios' or a stylised 'G/t' monogram; all with differing crown shapes.
Any ideas about which forks for which year of manufacture?

Thanks,
Nick.

Pictures always helpful but it sounds like you have a '78-'83(?) Torino super record. Then production stopped and the white professional was introduced. Your frame details are identical to my '78 super record. Your frame should have the square crown blue forks with the 'coin' in it. No frame number or date is normal, I am lucky in that my bike is 99% original and I can date it from the pat dates on the rear der and chainset. Otherwise you are stuck with any of the above production years. The above post relates to the early-mid '70's super record with 'G' & 'T' cutouts in the BB shell and the chrome forks.
Heres one on ebay,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIOS-TORINO-B ... 2a1ef7913a

Yours should have the decals in the white boxes.

I have no good photos of mine yet but here's a link to some I posted on another thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=205527

Shawn.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the helpful replies.
Sounds like I need to find a set of the forks with coins in the crown then.
150mm steerer would be best; but anything even just a damaged pair that I could get rebuilt would be fine.

Cheers,
Nick.

Back