Tektro R559 on a mixte

retro-rich

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Has anyone put any of these dual pivot brakes on a mixte frame before? Hoping to upgrade from the weinmann side pulls that are currently on there.
Wondering about the cable run on the rear, currently the cable goes in to the bottom arm and clamps to the top, can the tektros be reversed like this or is there a neat way to run the cable to the top? The cable currently runs down the right hand side of the duel crossbar then loops up to the brake.

I have the R559's on my Falcon road bike, they're good brakes

You can't run the cable in from the bottom as you can on your side pull's, so you'll have to loop the cable in from the top

That's two positives then, thanks

Those look quite nice Ross, they don't look to out of place on an older bike, hopefully I've got the reach right but it still has 27inch wheels so should be ok.

As for the cable I'll have to experiment with run as the entry is the opposite side also

retro-rich":169bdj0m said:
That's two positives then, thanks

Those look quite nice Ross, they don't look to out of place on an older bike, hopefully I've got the reach right but it still has 27inch wheels so should be ok.

As for the cable I'll have to experiment with run as the entry is the opposite side also
My Falcon has 27" wheels & there's plenty of room to drop the pads lower so you should be OK

Brakes arrived today, they look the business in silver.

The reach on the back one is just about right, although i dont think it could manage a change to 700c, the front one is probably a bit too deep a drop but with the pads right at the top it just fits. Obviously a bit of an issue when built as the weinmann brakes were different models front and back.

I've put some sks mudguards I had spare and they reach around those ok.

The only issue, as I suspected, is getting a neat cable run to the rear, has got a double bend in it but Im thinking that the rear can be a bit more forgiving with performance. There a is plate mounted between the twin crossbars behind the seat post, any reasons not to mount the brake here? It's lower down than the seat stay bridge and is flat steel plate, but must be there for a reason....would give me a better cable run.

Yep. IIRC the Raleigh Misty came like that from the factory with the brake attached adjacent to the "twin lats"..

Shaun

Back