Frames. First bike in 25 years food for thought....

bikerjohn

Dirt Disciple
I've just pinched this from the CTC forum..

"Back in the 70s, one of the prestige Italian frame builders was commissioned to make a batch of outwardly identical frames using everything from plain carbon steel to Columbus's finest, brazing a few bits of extra steel inside the latter so they all weighed the same too. These were built up with Campag Record, given to a bunch of top Italian roadies and their feedback collected.

Unfortunately they did not all go better on Columbus's finest. Some, generally the heavier riders, even expressed a distinct preference for the "gas-pipe special"! That's not so surprising after all, since that frame would have been stiffer and not wobble as much in a sprint. "

As i'm 6'1, 17.5 stone unfit and in my 40's this post has changed my direction on building a bike.

I was hoping to drop on a nice 531 frame and build something nice and light from there, through countless hours of research on Ebay anything that's any good on ebay seems to be £150.00+

The second paragraph of the above quote says the Bigger riders even expressed a preference for the gas pipe specials due to less flex etc...

I know I'm a million miles away from even being remotely fit but my intention is to get my fitness to a point where I could keep up with a Sunday club run.

I also happen to have a Raleigh Rod brake 3 speed Gas pipe special in my workshop made in 1970...

Now my plan, I was considering converting the Raleigh to 28" 600c wheels that were a lighter and higher spec with maybe a 10/12 speed gear conversion, close clearance brakes, Brooks saddle and drop bars etc something on the lines of a Pathracer with modern gears etc..

I know it will be heavy but it will still be easier than my mountain bike , should still get me fit and with a Bryton bolted on I could assess my training progress..

This would also allow me time to find a superior frame to swap all the components into at a later date..

All comments, advice and will be gratefully received. :D

I'm no expert on builds lightweight or otherwise. However i'll still make a few points.

Getting fit although a great goal should not be just about that. To keep your goals manageable you would have to include something else, that being enjoyment.

You could drag a gas pipe special along the roads or uphills for 20mls and use 1200cals at an average speed of 10mph

or

Get a nice lightweight frame,do the same but feel the power as you stamp out of corners, feel the speed as you accelerate from a stand. You'll still only burn 1200cals but will fell more enlivened.

Converting the Raleigh rod brake jobby will be a real pain. We didn't even bother BITD when I worked in a bike shop in the 70's

If you want to get back peddling buy an old Halfords carrera or a bike off here for £50 and spin those legs :D

Shaun

Ok so the Raleigh gas pipe special is a non starter....

Does anybody know of a Steel 531 etc frame and alloy rim wheel set with a bottom bracket for about £50???? All the ones I've seen are £100+

I've been on the online frame fit and my frame size 57.5cm / 22.5" C-T (29" trouser leg) with a top tube of about 55cm

That's for a "touring fit"

The problem I've got on the island is that all the bikes that go for recycling get put in a 20 ton skip where they all get squashed with a 10 ton 360 digger "to make more room in the skip" :?

I've tried in vain and had the usual "more than my Jobs worth" reply when inquiring if I could purchase a scrap frame/Bike

Hence I can get components from where the frames are taken to before their bailed but frames and wheels that aren't shaped like a banana are non existent...

I've allready collected front and rear mech's, weinman brake levers and calipers, a Shimano Biopace chainset 52/40, and a seat of sorts....

Cheers, John

I've quite lately won this, so they are around

this

So they are around

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just managed to get a frame on Ebay, It's not that Retro but it might just do the Job!

It's a Felt, still not sure on the model but I think its a F50 2003/05 ish....

600 headset, Selle Italia seat

All you bike detectives got any clues on the model please

Pic below from Ebay

2r73gg2.jpg

Just found this, I think its a similar frame as the cable guides are the same.

I've seen somewhere Felt Made Kinesis frames.

4080585263_8474dfb0fc_b.jpg

Back