80's road bike re-built with pics Finished.

The wheels are now sorted - I stripped the axles as they didn't spin freely. The cones were pitted and the grease had gone hard. I've fitted new cones and bearings and also a couple of spokes. I jigged the wheels today and they now run smoothly and are true - lastly fitted new rim tapes. I've also cleaned and lubed the 6 sp screw on block - there appears to be very little wear to the block and chain, I think I must have replaced them shortly before I stopped racing ;)

I used to fit Michelin Hi-lite road tyres 700x20 - what should I fit now - not many amber walls about and need something that will fit under the Deltas. I've seen some all black Vittoria's in 700x23 - any others??

Also need a new BB - the one I've taken out is showing signs of wear. Hollow axle 115mm with 68mm shell. I've found a sealed unit from the Centaur? Gpset on ebay for £14 ish with the same lengths etc Will my C record Chset fit this ok? I want something modern that I can fit and forget!

Handle bars have also been fitted

Any answers greatfully received - thanks in advance ;)

Some pics -

DSC01446.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

DSC01440.jpg

What is the head angle of this frame? It looks very steep and the stem seems to be sloping down - or is it a Track version?

Do you have much toe-clip overlap?

Old Ned - can't remember what angle it was, but it was steep I liked it tight n twitchy :D

I use look pedals and with my size12 feet there is about 5mm clearance.

Dave

Cracking job you're doing there Dave :cool: I can't wait to see the finished article. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you for the new paint and chrome?

Re: Angles

lelobysfoot":2pd24h3p said:
Yes, you wont get that 'slopey' droop look with a nice ITM Krystal stem.

:D :D 10/10 for persistance mate !! :D :D

I won't give in, I won't give in ...Lol :D

Did see a nice Cinelli R yesterday - was a bit short tho...

Tyres, and drivetrain are now on - will do some more pics later :cool:

SteveK - think it worked out as £70 for the chrome and £40 for the paint - but Rick did knock me some off!!

Few pics from this morning

The chain is soaking in white spirit at the moment - looks in good nick though.

Dark Blue or Black outer cable??

DSC01448.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

Thanks for the info Dave, got an 80's Cinelli to get sorted.

Never been a fan of fancy coloured outers myself but hey, that's me.

looking pretty cool there Dave. :cool:

Few more pics -

DSC01450.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

Even found my old shoes on the loft stuffed with newspaper from 1998 covering Broadman prolog win in Ireland :D

DSC01464.jpg

Back