Claud Butler Dalesman with 531c frame?

Oldnslow

Retro Newbie
Hi, first post from newbie, so please go easy.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a query over a Dalesman frame. I am currently selling, what I think is, a 1980's Dalesman, which has a sticker stating the frame is made from 531c tubing. Unfortunately, I do not know any of the history of the bike, as I have only just acquired it (long story, but made novice mistakes with sizing).

I have been informed by a well meaning third party that Dalesman frames from this era were made from 531st tubing and not 531c. I have since tried to check this out, and the specification in old brochures I have managed to find seem to back this up.

Has anyone come across a Dalesman with 531c tubing?

Welcome to the forum. As far as I know your friend is correct and they were 531ST and not 531C. Has it been repainted? Might just be the wrong tubing sticker.

Some photos would be appreciated.

Hi Rich34,

Not wishing to push this, but the easiest way of showing you the spec and photos is to give you the ebay link....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Claud-Butler- ... 3cc7a5b93b

You could well be right about a previous owner putting the wrong sticker on. However, the frame has not recently been resprayed, as it is in need of a bit of tlc, and the Reynolds sticker (shown in photo 3), and some of the other stickers are partly worn.

Any further views welcomed.
Thanks.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hmmm, from what I can see it looks original enough. I expect someone more knowledgeable than me will be along in a moment. Good luck with the sale at any rate.

oldsnow i have been watching this since start might sneak a bid in before end depends how high it goes

Hi Biggs682,

I hope the possible confusion over the frame tubing spec doesn't put you off. I understand that both 531c and 531st comprise good quality frames.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Although it's a bit after my time didn't Reynolds rename their tubing between 1993-95 ?...............

531 Double butted merged with 531c
531 Superlight (SL) became 531 Pro

Is that where the confusion might be or am I confused as well LOL

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

I had thought this bike was a little older - probably mid-1980s looking at the style of the stickers, frame paint colour and some of the remaining original components, such as the brakes, crank, seat post etc. However, I may be out with this.
I did read that there was some sort of consolidation in the early 1990s, when I think the company was taken over.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Midlife":ycjyd0ah said:
Although it's a bit after my time didn't Reynolds rename their tubing between 1993-95 ?...............

531 Double butted merged with 531c
531 Superlight (SL) became 531 Pro

Is that where the confusion might be or am I confused as well LOL

Shaun

In the 93-95 era the decals were different again I think (as per the tube decal on my Ribble), and any reference to TI plus the "Guaranteed Built With...." blurb and Tyseley address was dropped from the design. 531 SL/Pro had already made way for 653 before then.

David

Back