Budget e-stay

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, i'll get this out the way first;

Yes some may call it a BSO, It is from the cheaper end of the spectrum, It's not everyone's cup-of-tea, the brand has now fallen under the wing of Halfords, and yes i know the purists will hate it.

However it is keeping me entertained (on a budget) whilst my 1993 Clockwork is in the Spray shop getting some rather nice Satin Black applied to it.

Anyway the story goes like this, the other night i was trawling through Gumtree listed under 'Gents Mountain Bike' was this little gem. Seller was contacted and for the price of a 'M&S Meal for Two' the Carrera was loaded up and returned to the safety of the Man Cave.

The seller had owned the bike from new and only a few modifications had taken place since its purchase back in the early 90's (Exact date & year unknown) Mudguards were fitted, along with some rather perished ergo grips, bottle cage and a bottle which looked like it should belong in a kiddies lunchbox. The rest looked standard and very unworn.

Shimano 100GS groupset graces the steed, Carrera branded saddle and Kalloy Seat Post and Clamp.
Carrera/Araya Branded Rims.
Lee Chi Brake Levers and Shimano very low end Canti's.
Shimano Biopace Chainset.

Very worn Amber walled tyres will need to be replaced as the splits are bad. Chain has many years of grime, oil, grease built up on it. but nothing a good clean up, de-grease and oil wont solve.

Anyway here it is, don't know much about the brand, all i know is its my first dabble into the E-Stay world, albeit budget entry, but more to the point proving that anyone can have fun on a budget.

Enjoy :D

Attachments

• CarreraKatalyst5.JPG
    CarreraKatalyst5.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 768
  • CarreraKatalyst4.JPG
    CarreraKatalyst4.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 768
  • CarreraKatalyst3.JPG
    CarreraKatalyst3.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 768
  • CarreraKatalyst2.JPG
    CarreraKatalyst2.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 768
  • CarreraKatalyst1.JPG
    CarreraKatalyst1.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 768
I actually really like it. While Carrera's won't make your pants explode in the same way as a Rocky Mountain, they are budget machines of a quality and finish well above their price-peers such as Apollo, Townsend etc. I run a mid noughties carrera myself and it's a solid, usable bike, well equipped for it's price.

Yours looks remarkably complete and original. Ditch the mudguards, give it a thorough strip, clean and service, and you got a rare and itneresting machine.

Have a look at the dropouts, some of these tho it may have been the better versions of this were made by saracen IIRC.

Chopper1192":2uz3yabs said:
I actually really like it. While Carrera's won't make your pants explode in the same way as a Rocky Mountain, they are budget machines of a quality and finish well above their price-peers such as Apollo, Townsend etc. I run a mid noughties carrera myself and it's a solid, usable bike, well equipped for it's price.

Yours looks remarkably complete and original. Ditch the mudguards, give it a thorough strip, clean and service, and you got a rare and itneresting machine.

Agree. The budget end (which is where most of us get started) get over looked and forgotten.

tintin40":ds5al6lg said:
Chopper1192":ds5al6lg said:

Agree. The budget end (which is where most of us get started) get over looked and forgotten.

Some forget their roots. My first and second mtbs were truly terrible but they got me into it.

I'm finding myself agreeing with you all. Sure, while I'd have loved a top drawer Marin in my youf, fact is I was stuck with a lowly Diamondback.

Sure, I would still love the Marin today, but that cheapo '91 Diamondback Sorrento with 200GS groupset and dayglo yellow forks would be the one that has me tripping down memory lane.

That should clean up well. Lots of dirt but not terribly scuffed. Nice paint with an obnoxiously cool logo. What are the tires?

I being serious here - is 100GS less common than m900 XTR? I never saw any bikes BITD with it!!!

Looks like a nice frame. Deserves more, maybe LX/DX? Should ride nicely, well done for getting it rather than it wasting away (although I think a 100GS chainset with survive the Apocalyse!)

Back