Don Brooks SLX set up for longer rides

ForestHill

Retro Guru
So, nearly finished now, here is my Don Brooks.
The frame is made from SLX and is handbuilt by the Grantham builder Don Brooks, who evidently didn't make that many frames as there's very little about him online and this has the serial 0124.
Dura Ace 7402 calipers,
Dura Ace 7402 Hubs on Wolber rims,
Dura Ace 7410 Crankset and front mech,
Shimano 600 rear mech (while I wait for a cheap Dura Ace to come on ebay!),
Simplex shifters,
Shimano Exage levers..
3TTT Bars and Stem,
Rolls saddle.

Those tyres are Michelin 'Dynamic Classic', which are only a tenner each, and run really well!

I've tried to have this bike sat in the shed as my 'best' bike but it's just too nice to leave in there so I've been commuting on it.
Absolutely the best bike I've ever ridden, and I think it looks quite pretty as well. Those straight bladed forks are original (same serial as the frame) .
Oh, and home made Carradice support, made from half an old rack and some P Clips.

I hope some of you approve!

It is an excellent ride! Although I was sold it as SLX, and was told by the seller that the guy who sold it to him (who bought it from Don) told him it was SLX, the stickers are generic, and wrong for the year, Columbus stickers.
I felt it was quite heavy compared to another SLX frame I have, but that might be the chrome and reasonably low end BB/headset.
Still, I'm no weight weenie, and it's lighter than a 531ST tourer which is what I was commuting on previously, and not as light as the whippy 653 I use as my 'pub' bike.

Your pub bike is made of 653?! :shock:

Bloody stockbrokers... :LOL:

That Don Brooks is lovely, whatever it's made of.

Ha ha, I say 'pub bike' because it's a right mess and less likely to get robbed, it's still a good bike! I've managed to bend the seat stay somehow so even though it's too small for me I can't really sell it, and it was rattle canned by the previous owner so it looks fairly inconspicuous. I'm building it up with the tattiest running gear I can find (including a 105 crankset with the logos rubbed off and loads pitting, unbranded calipers etc).
I couldn't bring myself to having an actually *bad* bike, but this one looks bad, so it'll do!

Back