Steel, Aluminium, Titanium, Carbon, Magnesium or Other ?

Steel, Aluminium, Titanium, Carbon, Magnesium or Other ?

• Steel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aluminium

• Carbon

• Titanium

• Magnesium

• Other

• Total voters

rutteger

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Dyna-Tech Fan
What do you like a frame to be built of :?: I've ridden and owned bikes made out of most of the poll options (never magnesium or 'other') and have to it's got to be Ti. Steel is close, but at the end of the ti edges it for me, both from a ride and kudos perspective.

Steel pulls at my heart strings...

Gotta admit, I'm a steel slut. I too have ridden and built from steel, TI, Aluminum and even carbon, but the material that performs in ability to tune ride characteristics, longevity, availability of diverse specs, cost effectiveness, and soul fullfillment is steel.

The funny thing is, the majority of people will believe what the marketing tells them. An example...I had a customer that was balls out in favor of TI. He had read about it, lusted over it, and decided there was no other material that could equal it for his frame. I normally would not dissuade someone from building what they want but this was a big, powerful guy (200#'s plus) who, in my opinion, would have been highly unsatisfied with the rigididy of a Ti frame, even with overized/gusseted tubing. So I had him test ride three bikes, one Ti and two steels. I did not tell him what material they were made of, just told him to test them hard and tell me what he liked about each.
- The Ti he described as comfortable but highly inefficient in energy transfer..."too whippy"

- The 853 he described as strong and light, maybe a bit underbuilt for his style of riding

- The aircraft 4130 and OX3 mix he loved...tight, good energy transfer, and "I never even thought twice it's ability, I just enjoyed the ride"

He thought all three were Ti bikes of different tube selections...he bought a steel mix we put together for him. Eight years and still bringing smiles.

Now we're not all this dudes size, but the point is that for the money, steel offers an incredible ability to select tubing that will build up a frame for each individuals needs and style.

Ti and Aluminum have there place and I'll continue to build out of both, but steel has my vote.

cheers,

rody

Rody,

From your story I must conclude you seem to be very dedicated to what is truly best for your customer. Chapeau!

I vote for steel, because...
1) I think it turns out most satisfactory for what I considering important; the ride I like and longlivety
2) I go along with rody (so I can't go wrong :LOL: )

Ti may be Cool, but I do not really want to pay the premium over steel. Furthermore most look pretty alike and I do not really like the lack of collor. Of course it can be painted, but to my opinion one doesn't understand the merits of Ti when doing. I do like some Ti's, like Ti FAT, especially the early sleeved butted ones.

Carbon may be something for the future (but maybe I will be saying that in 2030 too)

The true test would be to blindfold a test subject and get them to ride each type of material for x amount of time. Then take their results and findings and compare.

Problem is obviously with the er...'blindfolding' and er....riding bit.

I am gonna go for steel as my favourite ride was a steel ( Stumpy ) . I am riding aluminium now and it is good too .

I am not sure about carbon , I like it on my road bike but not sure on mountain bike .

Titanium , I probably will never be able to afford one so no point .

A few interesting point raised by Rody, especially regarding plain old value for money. When you look at it this was steel can't be beat from a ride perspective.

I'll admit the fact that Ti probably edges it for me because it's perceived as being better. Was I to do Jezza blindfolded riding test I think I'd struggle to say which I prefered between my ti ride and steel ones.

7 to steel vs 3 for ti. Surprised there are no votes for alu or carbon.

I have had most materials except for magnesium and titanium, but I have gotta say, even though I dont own a retro steeley, its gotta be steel :) .

this subject pops up every time to time. a badly built titanium, or a high end steel? its as much more down to construction & design as material.
Even as recently as 1 year ago I would have said titanium every time. Now I've ridden a few XC FS designs I'm afraid for real riding it'd be the bells & whistles of a quality XC FS rig every time..

..although in the context of a retro forum, perhaps I'd better stick to titanium ;D

A difficult one!

I've never ridden Magnesium or Carbon frames so can't really comment on those.

A year ago I'd have said Ti no question but now I believe that its more important the way the material is used and what you want from it. I'd rather have a well put together steel or Alu hardtail than a cheap Ti one.

I've now got an Alu RM hardtail that feels better (lighter & more comfortable) than both my Ti and Steel hardtails. The steel Blizzard might be more comfortable but I haven't had a chance to ride one recently. I'd still kill for a Ti Rocky Mountain (not retro stylee) though. ;)

Fluff

"A year ago I'd have said Ti no question but now I believe that its more important the way the material is used and what you want from it. I'd rather have a well put together steel or Alu hardtail than a cheap Ti one"

yeh, thats what I said fluff ;) tho for actual riding a decent XC FS rig ;)

Back