WTD: DSLR for a beginner

i bought a canon rebel xt(350d) for £100 on gumtree, loads of second hand lenses surface if you look in charity shops for old film canon eos cameras

Camera

Ive got a camera package coming up in the next couple of weeks if you are interested.

Olympus e410 10mp
Boxed with all manuals and bag
With 2 lenses

40-150 1.3.5-4.5 auto
17-45 1:3.5-5.6 auto
All with uv filters

£200.00 or £250 to include

50mm 1.8 manual lense
Jackar 52mm super fisheye lense
Extension tubes for macro photography
Set (4) of fox close up screw on macro filters
Remote control shutter release
Wired shutter release

Or £275

To include a tripod

Phew

Get an A200, not a plastic Canon that change there lens fitments every 5 years (slight overstatement I know). Nikon's don't have anti shake in the bodies only in the more expensive lens, same with Canon, Sony and Pentax have built in to the bodies. Sony battery life wipes the floor of everything out there.

Another Nikon owner here, D40.

Please don't be mislead by megapixel count, it means practically nothing, and I have had hundreds of pictures published that were taken on a camera with a mere 3.2 megapixels.

I would suggest that it would be worthwhile to visit a shop, as size and balance of an slr is important. Years ago I bought a little Pentax (pre-digital), it was a great little camera, but I ended up using my other cameras more, simply because it was too small for my hands.

There are some good deals at you local camera shop, new and s/h, always worth a look.

NeilM":bzmru96m said:
Another Nikon owner here, D40.

Please don't be mislead by megapixel count, it means practically nothing, and I have had hundreds of pictures published that were taken on a camera with a mere 3.2 megapixels.

I would suggest that it would be worthwhile to visit a shop, as size and balance of an slr is important. Years ago I bought a little Pentax (pre-digital), it was a great little camera, but I ended up using my other cameras more, simply because it was too small for my hands.

There are some good deals at you local camera shop, new and s/h, always worth a look.

I've never been taken in by the whole megapixel thing - I was told from the beginning that it's nowhere near as important as other things such as the sensors etc. (sorry if I sound like a complete amateur here - I'm coming from using my iPhone 4S camera and compact digital!)

I really like the look of the Sony Alpha range. The A200 is right in my price bracket, and it's received some great reviews. I think this is where I'll start my search!

If your buying new then Nikon or Canon if your buying used then Sony.
Sony don't hold their value so well and are therefore a better used buy.

i got a canon 400 d with a 28-55 lens, bag, battery grip ect for 200 on ebay and it takes awesome pics.

Back