Cheap helmet cams

Placed the order Monday, and the jiffy bag arrived Tuesday!

Cute little camera, and the bits of try out footage I have shot in and around the house are pretty good, although I need to work out how to remove the date and time signature.

Weather permitting, I'll fix it to my helmet for my training route ride tonight, and see how it does.

Cool, I found mine doesn't take great movies indoors as not enough light.
Camera geek friend of mine couldn't believe the quality of pictures for the price.

A good way to practice is blob of blutak on the dashboard of your car and just play around when you're out driving.

He reckons there's a slight zoom on the lens so footage of movement (ie cycling) looks like you're going really fast !

MADJEZ":3d2m0jn4 said:
A good way to practice is blob of blutak on the dashboard of your car and just play around when you're out driving.

I'm in civil engineering and spend the day driving from office to office and site to site, not very inspiring footage ;)

I've rigged up a little mount for my helmet with some velcro and a strap from a worn out saddle / tool bag. I'll give it a try later.

I've got one of the ones above - not a bad picture considering the price, but a very narrow field of vision, so angle of mounting is really troublesome.
So chest mounting resulted in a view of the bars, and helmet mounting means that it is really affected by head movement.

I've made up a helmet mount using HIPs and a strip heater which fits on the side of my Urge helmet (it has some usefully placed allen bolts on the side). The camera is stuck in place with strong double-sided tape.

Photo links not working, but here are some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toretz/7017124613/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toretz/7017124801/in/photostream/

I was lucky in that the missus bought me one of these helm et cams for xmas, mine comes with a big rubber strap that pulls around the helmet to keep it steady.

She paid around £40 for it, but to be fair, the quality looks no better than these cheap ebay ones for a tenner.

I did one test ride that was angled too far down to the ground.

http://youtu.be/0t4CnxGQoUk

And a second where i attached it to my handle bars at a trail center to video me and the lads coming downhill, but i left the mount too loose and the video was a blurry mess :(

Last trail center i went too, i forgot to pick the thing up when i left, half a year later i have still not used it again :(

Got 2 weeks off in 3 weeks time, so planning some decent bike jollies!

Got mine just after I'd said it still hadn't arrived. Definitely there is some magnification, which is a slight pity. I taped it to my son's seat tube for his ride to school this morning - good fun but a lot of frame in the picture!

also - how much footage per memory card are you guys getting?
says on that MD80 that it supports up to 8gb - how much footage do you get for that?

My keyring wotsit came with a 16GB card (£16 or so total :shock: ).
I reckon it's about 20min per GB.

I taped it to a metal bracket and fitted it to my seat tube and gave it a ride today - I'll try to post it to YouTube later and leave a link.

Back