June 2012 BoTM 'Dead End Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of being flamed... If I compare that cool yellow bike to a modern folding bike, the righty, lefty and hub brakes don't seem so dead end.
That said, very cool bike! (but, you should all still vote for my Manitou 'cause it's "retrobike quotion" is higher :D )

love that bianchi

and the laiti is typical french quirkyness
whats it ride like ?
looks heavy

stumpjumper1990":3pp1qee3 said:
Here it is!

Needs some cleaning! It's got a lefty and a righty and 2 drum brakes! That's really a dead end!!!
Still have to do some cleaning and some greasing!

1990 Laïti

2012-06-21%252020.14.39.jpg

2012-06-21%252020.15.32.jpg

Utterly ridiculous.

It's a winner!

Rob Atkin":247h553q said:
What are your plans for it?

I'm not sure! :?

It's now completely original with Suntour XCM and Wolber tires. I could upgrade it, but what's the point? I think it deserves a restauration with a new (yellow) paintjob, a good clean and leave the original parts... Allready saw some NOS parts, but am still not sure.

It is heavy!

Absolutely love that Laïti. In fact I really want one now.
I'm going to send over one of my associates and make you an offer you can't refuse

You could shed some weight with lighter rims and a high-end groupset, but that would be a shame. It's okay to do such upgrades on a common bike, but not on something this rare and special.
Some bikes just look better with low-end components, and this is one of those cases.

IF you plan to restore it, make sure you take plenty of pictures and measurements of the decals before you strip the paint. Gil probably won't have those on file.

I'm curious about the drum brakes. Somehow I doubt those are generic items, so I can imagine it would be a nightmare to get new pads once they are worn.

yo-Nate-y":12f0sl7w said:
I'll be voting for the bike that has the best balance of "I am glad not to HAVE TO RIDE it" now, but at one point would have had the most "WOW I WISH I COULD RIDE THAT" then.

This about sums it up for me. Really not a hard concept to grasp for some of you struggling.

al":12f0sl7w said:
I'm just wondering if the best worst bike is best or the worst best bike is worst?

Hang on! is the best worst bike the worst best bike.......

I give up.

al. :?

:LOL:

Either, everyone is a winner, this month, or no one is a winner. Perspective, my friend. :cool:

Apologies the poll isn't up, things are a little behind schedule following Mountain Mayhem. Poll up over the next few days once we've been through the entries, will end a little late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back