Tips needed to apply NOS rub on Columbus frame decal

Ian Raleigh":2kuf8qjk said:
Being a very big modeller and i have built hundreds ! One form of glossing lacquer is something called Klear or Future in the USA,
this stuff is floor cleaner/buffer/gloss coat for all floor types and just about every modeller uses this stuff, its totally clear and dries
within seconds to a beautiful shine. I did a whole bike with this stuff using a SPONGE and the results was an amazing shine and tough too.

Its really thin stuff so you need to apply it thinly and quickly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Used-Bot ... 500wt_1287

Silly question, how do you get it on with the sponge? Do you just get the sponge damp with it and then dab it on or wipe it on?? When applying is it fairly obvious when an area has enough on? I do have an old frame in the corner of the shed i could practice on. This could be a better option for me as i don't really want to have to use a spray if I can help it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
1duck":3plua0wv said:
11 quid?! just googled it...2.55 at asda.
The old Johnsons Klear isn't available in shops any more but there is new improved version which is called 'Pledge Multi Surface Wax'
comes in a similar white bottle and smells of lemons, this is no good for bike frames.

If asda has got the old version of Klear i'm going to buy several dozen bottles of the stuff :D:

Just looked at asda and its out of stock ! The reason being they don't make it anymore.
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/asda-c ... 500ml.html

Some shops have a stock of the 'old stuff' but it has to be in the CLEAR bottles NOT the WHITE bottles.

retro-rich":3plua0wv said:
Silly question, how do you get it on with the sponge? Do you just get the sponge damp with it and then dab it on or wipe it on?? When applying is it fairly obvious when an area has enough on? I do have an old frame in the corner of the shed i could practice on. This could be a better option for me as i don't really want to have to use a spray if I can help it.
Always use a dry sponge with Klear as it doesn't like water too much.

When using a sponge all i do is hold the sponge over the hole of the bottle and tip the bottle then wipe any excess back in the bottle.

Its just a matter of wiping down the frame smoothly and if any bubbles can be seen just 'blow' at the bubbles and they pop !

Klear is mint for restoring really bad faded paint-work as it soaks into the paint and if the paint has a clear lacquer layer it will hide lacquer scratch's straight away.

Ian Raleigh":2smcqm65 said:
1duck":2smcqm65 said:
11 quid?! just googled it...2.55 at asda.
The old Johnsons Klear isn't available in shops any more but there is new improved version which is called 'Pledge Multi Surface Wax'
comes in a similar white bottle and smells of lemons, this is no good for bike frames.

If asda has got the old version of Klear i'm going to buy several dozen bottles of the stuff :D:

Just looked at asda and its out of stock ! The reason being they don't make it anymore.
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/asda-c ... 500ml.html

Some shops have a stock of the 'old stuff' but it has to be in the CLEAR bottles NOT the WHITE bottles.

retro-rich":2smcqm65 said:
Always use a dry sponge with Klear as it doesn't like water too much.

When using a sponge all i do is hold the sponge over the hole of the bottle and tip the bottle then wipe any excess back in the bottle.

Its just a matter of wiping down the frame smoothly and if any bubbles can be seen just 'blow' at the bubbles and they pop !

Klear is mint for restoring really bad faded paint-work as it soaks into the paint and if the paint has a clear lacquer layer it will hide lacquer scratch's straight away.

Ah so the new stuff is no good? hmm interesting...i've never even heard of the stuff before but reading around the internet it seems to be used for everything including fixing faded paint on cars. Bit of a wonder product.

1duck":2d1pgfam said:
Ah so the new stuff is no good? hmm interesting...i've never even heard of the stuff before but reading around the internet it seems to be used for everything including fixing faded paint on cars. Bit of a wonder product.
To tell you the truth i've never tried the new stuff but many modellers say its no good because it contains more silicones for a higher shine,
this results in any decals don't stick to paint-work which you want to place on the model surface, this is due to the silicones :roll:

Klear/Future has been around for over 40 years and has been used for many purposes and as you say fixing faded paint on older cars
When you see a white oxidised vehicle one wipe with Klear and the paint returns back to new with no effort at all.

Klear will also restore faded opaque plastic headlamps to clear again, it will also hide scratch's in plastic.

One full bottle will last you several years as a little goes a very very long way.

The old stuff was taken off the supermarket shelves only last year and replaced with the new shit stuff.

I've got two bottles of the original stuff and i'm hiding them :evil:

retro-rich":3tjm6ut4 said:
What's the difference? is it that the other one is solvent based?

If your talking about the Humbrol glosscote you should only ever use this paint with other humbrol products so could ruin any rare/expensive decals.

The Klear should only be applied very thinly.

Sorted!

matrix.jpg

Applied and coated - thanks for all the help.

Vic

Back