Casual observation about *ahem* other retro bike forums...

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I dip a toe in other retro bike forums occasionally (as many of us here do) and I have a gripe about them. It's a clique thing. The first thing you notice upon registering is that there are very fews actual threads running, but those that are, have many many pages to them.

This means that unless you wish to trawl through 43 pages starting in 2005, you feel a bit left out. I.e. you needed to be in the clique from the start to appreciate what is going on...

Both the Spanish and the French sites I visit are just like that. Take a look atthe following 2 images. That's why I like this site, very welcoming and non-cliquey and a good turnover of posts :D Big up to Retrobike!

78441359gc5.jpg

49303939nx8.jpg

Still, i recognise a few of those names as regular posters on here. They are all thoroughly pleasent people.

I think sometimes we just don't like 'differant', maybe it's a British thing? ;)

Most sites I've frequented (including the good old days of email lists) become clique after time.

Smaller sites tend to suffer more, but even larger ones such as STW suffer quite badly at time.

IMO this tends to happen with sites frequented by a lot of people in their early/mid twenties full of opinions and attitude.

I'm willing to bet that the average age here is at least 10 years more than that and life has battered the attitude out of us! :)

other forums

Mtbr.com is an American site that is quite good-very similar to this one and I see a number of people from this site posting there.

Back