The scrapping of old bikes ! *****YIKES *****

chambo34":ywm6xade said:
i-am-iron-man":ywm6xade said:
one-eyed_jim":ywm6xade said:
p7140179_849.jpg

Why is this happening please?

I thought that but guessing it's in the title as in the "scraping of bikes" instead of scrapping!

i think the question may have been more 'whhhhhyyyyyyy????!!!!!!' as in the painful realization that someone is scraping the paint job off a Klein.....

chambo34":2mrsz5oq said:
I thought that but guessing it's in the title as in the "scraping of bikes" instead of scrapping!

Aaaah!
Still though - I can't look directly at that photo. I like to think it's Photoshop, not an actual ruined Klein...

half cog":3n9umfgo said:
...Consider all the lost time and energy that went in to making it . Its not saving the planet. Its not recycling. Its sheer mindless vandalism...

Scrap merchants are scum, IME.
And don't get me started on the ones who somehow dragged a wrapped and hidden VW engine (mid-restoration) past several cars and out of our driveway, never to be seen again.

And yes, their "green" argument is BS, because the recycling option is waaay down the waste-hierarchy.

I had the same situation years ago, trying to buy VW engine parts. A good set of air-cooled heads or engine casing was worth some money to somebody struggling to do a resto.

... but the scrap guys were never interested. Even offering money & leaving my contact details made no difference. It was just easier — from their mindless perspective — to melt everything down for the few Euros scrap value of the aluminium.

So vintage components continued to be lost, rather than re-used (at a much higher energy cost than if they had been re-used). Those idiots profited hugely from what I regard as wanton destruction, while enthusiasts were not even given the chance to open their wallets.

I had this argument with a copper last year about scrap-men taking bikes, i could not believe what he said to me...........

Any person can take a bike as it is not required to be registered by law and action can only be taken when the theft is reported and you can prove the bike is yours in the first place.

Would this have been bullshit or what ?

Not sure, but you know what they say:

If you want to know the time — ask a cop;
If you want to know the law — ask a lawyer.

It's very sad to think of how many good bikes are going into the furnace.

Luckily a couple of the scrap yards in my area have the common sense to realise that £10/£12 for selling a bike on is better than £3/£4 for it crushed in a skip.

Anyway the reason I am posting in this section is because I've been after a road bike since doing the Church End Brewery road ride a couple of weeks ago and what should turn up at the scrapyard near to my work. I picked up the two frames in the photos as complete bikes on Tuesday, both are now stripped down. I intend to keep and ride the Bianchi as it's my size and sell on the Raleigh to help fund the project.

Attachments

• Road Frames 1.JPG
    Road Frames 1.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 587
  • Road Frames 2.JPG
    Road Frames 2.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 587
  • Road Frames 3.JPG
    Road Frames 3.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 587
weeman_mtb":2x2xnpbq said:
It's very sad to think of how many good bikes are going into the furnace.

Luckily a couple of the scrap yards in my area have the common sense to realise that £10/£12 for selling a bike on is better than £3/£4 for it crushed in a skip.

Anyway the reason I am posting in this section is because I've been after a road bike since doing the Church End Brewery road ride a couple of weeks ago and what should turn up at the scrapyard near to my work. I picked up the two frames in the photos as complete bikes on Tuesday, both are now stripped down. I intend to keep and ride the Bianchi as it's my size and sell on the Raleigh to help fund the project.

Great finds. If only my local scrap yard had such an enlightened approach.... :cry:

Update on the 'local' people who scrap things and this one is a shocker :shock:

SPORTS DIRECT have just scrapped dozens of bike wheels because of missing parts like..... Quick Releases - Spokes - missing nuts - Frozen hub bearings[adjusted too tight] all NEW.

My lad came home with a pair of new wheels which retail at £70 not super high quality but ideal for the winter bike, Weinmann XR18 700c V rims - Quando hubs - chrome spokes.

The crime they committed for being scrapped was...Missing quick releases :(

The owner doesn't care about bikes but my lad is getting it through to him and he may start and put all bicycles to one-side.

Now time to get my hack bike out and re-new my old shabby bike wheels with some free bling :D

The chaps who work my local council, but subbed out tip, put complete bikes etc to one side and take small amounts of cash. They also do a great line in crutches and zimmer frames.

Another alternative is to buy a donated bike from a registered bike charity. I've just 'bought' an old Bianchi (think it's from 1979/80) to do up as my first project.
In this case, the money donated goes to cancer research.
Please see:
www.just giving.com/Robin-Evans0

Back