NOS 1985 Raleigh team panasonic super record build.

Druid":12dvcl0b said:
Know I mentioned it elsewhere about the Record Sprint, but I think it is because those old Raleighs were actually a part of my life they mean so much more. A beautiful old Colnago for example is like a 1980's Ferrari, I may have had a poster of one on my wall, but that was as close as I got. The Raleigh is more like an old Cortina. It puts a bigger smile on my face than the super car because it was part of my real life and makes up the memories of places we went with it, not just the places I dreamt of going.

Still a great looking machine, you've done it justice.

Thankyou! and perfectly sums up what I think about these late '70's to mid '80's Raleighs. I had a nice 531c raleigh or three in the '80's and the nostalgia remains with them. I remember watching the TDF with my Dad and loving the mid '80's team weinmann/panasonic colours, eventually badgering him enough to have one bought for me.
I've since come to see that the Raleighs are my favourite to the point the 'nago's will be on ebay in a week or two.
The SBDU/LU bikes really were great bikes.
Oh I see your point about the cars, kind of agree about the raleigh/cortina comparison but I'd have to say the SBDU/531c LU bikes are definately at least cortina ghia level :LOL:

That's come out very nice, a lovely build. How do you decide which one to ride?

The Crane's were cousins not brothers? I could be wrong I suppose.

Nick was a member of the Oxonian CC and quite a handy road racer in the 80's.

Old Ned":2zrlvv7t said:
That's come out very nice, a lovely build. How do you decide which one to ride?

The Crane's were cousins not brothers? I could be wrong I suppose.

Nick was a member of the Oxonian CC and quite a handy road racer in the 80's.

Thanks! I haven't ridden this one yet (apart from round the house) as I'm still deciding on whether to glue these tubs on! I've a lovely set of nos OR10's that may be better suited. I will ride it soon even if it wears a set of wheels from another bike. Choice of bike is dependant on weather, where im going (pub or gentle prom ride) and finally what cycling top is not in the wash and matches the bike (sad but true :LOL: )

Wouldn't OR10's look more at home on a track or TT bike ?

I think it looks the part as it is :D

Shaun

Midlife":2aoysv6y said:
Wouldn't OR10's look more at home on a track or TT bike ?

I think it looks the part as it is :D

Shaun

Ah, what I meant to say was these tyres and the OR10's would go together well, but not on this bike. A 70's 753 TT bike would be perfect ;)

Sorry, I mis read your post and that explains it :)

You mean they would look good on my 1970's Bob Jackson Time Trial Frame :D :D

Shaun

@shawn:
Oh I see your point about the cars, kind of agree about the raleigh/cortina comparison but I'd have to say the SBDU/531c LU bikes are definately at least cortina ghia level

Funy, you get exactly what I mean. When I closed my eyes to think of '80's Team Raleighs and Ford Cortinas it's my dad's 2 Litre MK4 Ghia in Saphire Blue with vinyl roof I was thinking of. :cool:

Never had the Team nor the Record myself. I had a Raleigh Equipe, white frame with yellow and grey finish. Being only a kid I think I just prefered the colours. Not sure I even took frame material into consideration as a lad (have to admit though I defected to a Peugeot Dolomite later...my dad defected from Ford too).

I never owned a Raleigh :( but I remember that livery and it takes me back. That's a beautiful build and if nothing else reminds me I need to pull my finger out and find a Benotto bar tape supplier.

Thanks, although in the last day technically this build has been dismantled. The parts are already on another frame and this f&f's will be up for sale soon... pics to follow of both ;)

Back