Carbon or Titanium... the impossible choice.

My question is...

Why the bloody hell would anyone choose to buy a big ugly moulded and glued nasty looking bit of tat over a Ti frame?

al. :?

Carbon frames win Olympic medals!!!!

I've had loads of carbon over the years dating back to early 1990's, it's very strong and doesnt rust...

You will get a better frame in carbon for the price over titanium...On one , Giant etc, carbon does absorb vibration, but still a stiff ride, fast though!!

Looking at the On One 456, but I know they do both a Carbon and Ti version...

But if I got the Ti one I'd only want the Lynksey one as I think it looks better than the VN one.

Good question, I didn't figure it out. Now I have both :roll: .

FWIW For a 456 type bike I'd go with steel, such a selection from small manufacturers.

FWIW 2: Many of the carbon sceptics would take a steel bike down the trail without thinking. In the flesh I've seen more broken steel frames than carbon ones. A mate's Stumpjumper downtube came apart mid ride right next to me. Could not believe how thin the wall was, and razor sharp at the edges of the failure. YMMV

Enjoy!!

Carbon is at a point now where it can be trusted for sure, but still needs more carefulness than others.
It still has the stigma though which it shouldnt.

Carbon will break if you crash it heavily, Ti might survive. I've seen people write carbon road frames off by crashing on slippery roundabouts.

However, a really well-engineered and fabricated carbon frame will be lighter, more comfortable and stiff in all the right places.

You pay your money and take your pick. I have a Ti Litespeed road bike that's 18 years old and looks like new.

Titanium +1 ;)

Titanium frames hold their value, carbon doesn't so well. It doesn't rust or have paint or laquer to chip and if you scratch it then a buff with a Scotchbrite pad has it looking tidy again. An old carbon frame looks like an old carbon frame !

But....

£300 will buy you a very light frame in carbon ~ 1kg wheras Ti will be more like 1.6kg but having owned both there is just something about the Ti which feels better despite the extra weight. IMHO of course.

I read somewhere that carbon bike frames are responsible for global warming and that at night, they come alive and feed on babies.

They also are known to spontaneously explode and have been used by terrorists as IEDs.

Latest posts

Back