Help me identify this frame? SOLVED

neuroportal

Retro Guru
Hi Guys.

Some of you may have seen me post this before:

blackberry%252520005.jpg

First comments I have had state it is MB of Dronfield. The Logo on the seat tube and head tube are spot on.

I emailed Vernon with the number on the bottom of the BB, which is "5142" stamped very neatly indeed. He states that the number is not one of theirs.

So...I am guessing it is a refurb, It was last built up between 79-81. All the dropouts are Campagnolo.

Long shot but anyone have any ideas at all? The only thing that immediately strikes me is the fork lugs - I don't recall having seem that type before. Maybe I just never paid close enough attention. :)

7394796544_402d832e10_b.jpg

7394801166_7647f37dee_b.jpg

Fork Crown looks like a Cinelli MC semi sloping.....70's usually. I think my Falcon San-Remo has one :)

Shaun

Removed the BB tonight. (Peanut butter wrench arrived allowing me to remove the crank!)

The frame is really clean inside and out. The Strada Cranks are 1973 170mm and Strada BB is immaculate inside. I am also discovering the whole realm of weirdness that is early Campagnolo axles...

This is a "68 SS 120" so requires a 120mm OLD hub (it is) for proper chainline and is a 112mm axle size.

Also discovered little touches like an Andrew Hague seatpost binder bolt.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace just the pads in Weinmann brake blocks? Looks like it is feasible, just depends if they are available still.

Ok - Fork now removed. The steerer tube has the same number, 5142 stamped into it so it is obviously a matched set.

So what I have here is:

One lugged steel frame, campagnolo dropouts for-aft. Badged with MB (of Dronfield) on seattube and headtube. 120 mm OLD. I think it is 531, I have no badges. But the weight lends itself.

Anecdotally it was built up once, and this is the build. Vernon states the number isn't one of theirs. The area it comes from is Derbyshire though. I suspect it was, at least, finished by them. The interior tubes look fantastic. I can't see it being built up more than once. The paint job looks to be the original too.

Cranks are 1973 Strada, Brakes are 1975 Weinmann 500, hubs are shimano dated 1978 which would indicate the bike was built circa 1979. Tis possible the parts were all bought from what was in stock. They are all in good condition, patina aside. Hardly any use to nothing to indicate any parts were used beforehand. The only thing which is a little odd is the use of Sugino Mighty chainrings on the crank.

Milremo seatpost, fujita Saddle and 3t stem and Cinelli bars are all of the same late 70s period, along with the 980 rear mech and Record 3 hole front mech.

Any information anyone may be able to shed would be gratefully received......

7432716132_3a5de59b75_b.jpg

7432710766_8f0495787f_b.jpg

7432697380_2ffc0e8cd9_b.jpg

Difficult to date by what's been used to build it. We used to buy what we could afford or liked the look of.

There was also a thriving "hand me downs" at our club...

Shaun

I know MKM used a four digit serial number, could it be one of theirs? They built up to 1978 - 79 I think.

aha!

Thank you, Sir.

The website http://www.mkm-cycles.co.uk indicates the right era for the build on frame number. the headset IS milremo. The seat binder bolt being an Andrew Hague item lends credence to the eyelets being said same, another feature. The lugs seem right for some of the catalogue photographs and use of campy dropouts fits. I think we have a bare frame which was finished by MB. Whether they did this for a few MKM frames or not I will ask Vernon.

Thanks for everybody's help! :)

Back