A new beginning (P5): 1995 Kona Humuhumu-Nukunuku-A-Pua'a

First year was singlespeed only. At some point they did a singlespeed one and a hub gear one. In fact I have a feeling that in at least one year there was only a hub gear one.

mauiblue":3tf5hn1d said:
I was wondering how you build is going? Are you finish?

To be honest, I haven't done anything since the last photo's I put up. I think it's finished.....I guess ;)

The cable to the rear hub is still just zip tied to the frame but I don't really have a better solution other than to pick up a couple of the old metal clips.

Having done a bit of searching through the catalogues in the archives I'm pretty sure that 1995 was the first year for the Humu and A'Ha. I've listed the spec regarding gears/brakes below. According to the catalogues, the only Humu with 7 speed hub fitted as stock plus no rear brake mounts (certainly can't see them in the catalogue picture) was the 1999 model. All the rest had brake mounts on the seat stays. Having said that, your paintwork and decals certainly seem to match the 1996.....who knows!

95 humu single speed with cantis
95 a'ha 7 speed with cantis and coaster

96 humu ss, cantis
96 aha 7sp, cantis and coaster

There wasn't a 97 Humu
97 aha ss, cantis, curved top tube with stars and bars paint

98 humu1 ss, v brakes
98 humu7 7sp, v brakes (catalogue shows rear bosses but no brakes)
98 aha ss, curved top tube, stars and bars (not pictured in catalogue)

99 humu1 ss, v brakes
99 humu7 7sp, v brakes front, coaster brake rear - no rear bosses

2000 humu ss, v brakes

2001, 2002, 2003 no cruisers

Anyway, how's your build progressing?

raidan73":3itj91br said:
<snip>

Anyway, how's your build progressing?

Sorry about not answering right away. Been busy with my two jobs and studying for my commercial drivers license. Here is some eye candy:

CameraZOOM-20120704110830426.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704122158250-1.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704122253291-1.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120704122317147-1.jpg

The pedals has been updated to some more stylish all metal Nashbar cruiser pedals since I've taken this photos a couple weeks ago. The one's in the photo is some cheap stuff that was on there before the switch. I'm got a new Metropolis crankset and chain ring and bottom bracket was replaced. The seat is a more larger and comfortable gel seat that will help support my butt better. After ordering the wrong forks for the bike, I finally found this chrome forks on Amazon and installed a new front brake set. The Continental tires (Town and Country) are really sweet and have a really unique tread design.

Eventually the original rims, spokes, and hubs that came with the bike will be changed out. I'm planning to eventually change out the Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal hub with coaster brake or a SRAM i-Motion 9 hub with disc brakes. I don't know if this particular internal hub will be compatible with the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa. Does anyone one here know if this particular model hub will fit?

BTW, sorry about hijacking this thread :)

Had a quick ride out this evening and got a couple of nice pics. Shame I made a schoolboy error and forgot to tighten the cranks bolts and had to walk halfway back :oops:

dscf4391a.jpg

dscf4399d.jpg

dscf4400.jpg

dscf4401i.jpg

dscf4402y.jpg

dscf4394n.jpg

Yep, paint and decals are original. A little bit tatty but would never repaint it, I love the colour scheme :cool:

Thanks Adrian for sharing and the information on this thread. I was thinking of painting my bike but I don't think it would be worth it as I would be concerned about scratching it. My bike is for riding and I've been doing that a lot since I got it. I will be replacing the decals though as the ones on the bike is in bad shape. New rims, spokes, front hub, and most likely an 8 speed Shimano Nexus internal rear hub will be built up and installed next month. Your thread really inspired me to build my Humuhumunukunukuapuaa into the bike I've always wanted to own and ride.

mauiblue":q51g9chc said:
Thanks Adrian for sharing and the information on this thread. I was thinking of painting my bike but I don't think it would be worth it as I would be concerned about scratching it. My bike is for riding and I've been doing that a lot since I got it. I will be replacing the decals though as the ones on the bike is in bad shape. New rims, spokes, front hub, and most likely an 8 speed Shimano Nexus internal rear hub will be built up and installed next month. Your thread really inspired me to build my Humuhumunukunukuapuaa into the bike I've always wanted to own and ride.

Does it have a three speed hub on it at the moment? Mine has a Nexus 7 speed hub which is slightly too wide for the frame. There were a few discussions about the hub size on the previous owners thread which may help http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1451930

Back