Newbie with a Hobbs of Barbican

Blimey Blutto.........are you are oldest member ?

I was born in the 50's and raced in the 70's which is a bit after your time :D

Shaun

Hi roadking, took some pics today will post them soon, the frame number although almost worn away now is H72634

Midlife":30yiysbi said:

I was born in the 50's and raced in the 70's which is a bit after your time :D

Shaun

Hi Shaun, no idea if I'm the oldest, I doubt it, 65 in December but don't act like it.

blutto":2771vbzt said:
Hi roadking, took some pics today will post them soon, the frame number although almost worn away now is H72634

When you mentioned Mervyn (I'm a long time member of the V-CC) I was confident about your date...7 is 1947 and H is the month, which is August.

Roadking.

I'm the proud owner of a Hobbs of Barbican as well, one of my favourite bikes.

Mine is a 1946, possibly a Raceweight but that was always a guess. Fairly original, with big pre-war style drop handlebars and chunky Bates of London grips, Allez! pedels, alloy seat post. I had a set of Alumlite rims on it for a long while but bent the front one, much to my consternation :evil: Replaced it with a Dunlop.

Has a crossbar changer for the SA hub, which I always found strange. Someone obviously fitted what they had lying around at some point.

It came from a local tip here in Southampton. I got it in a swap for a nice 1966 Viking Severn Valley I found, which was also a local tip find ...

I use it a lot. For VCC Hampshire Lightweight Rides when I was a member, now mostly commuting to work.
Had it pinched from my back garden a few years ago, but got it back a week later after putting up wanted posters all around where I live. Cost me £30 to the thieving toerags as their 'reward' for 'finding' it :roll:

Oh, and this is my first post! So can't post pics yet. Hello and welcome anyway :LOL:

On a tip! oh my god, this links nicley to the post about all those classic bikes turning up at the scrap yard, I shudder to think about the heritage that must have been lost for good.
I'm also a big Jap car fan and was distraught at all the classic motors that went in the scappage scheme.

Old Ned":1nwau7cf said:
Midlife":1nwau7cf said:

Not by a long chalk!

Ask Keithglos ;)

And me.

I didn't think I would be, hope I've a few more years left in me, mind you if I do get back on the Hobbs it could just finish me off :D

I notice on the Veteran Cycle Club website there is a Hobbs of Barbican ride on the 19th August. Unfortunately it doesn't say anything else about it at all. Anyone know anything?

Ian.

Back