2001 Kona Kilauea - JPS Special

nooooooooooooooooo saab cruelty
what was up with the 900 then body wise it looked ok
i have a saab ruby 9000 built like a tank
i owner 45k cost me 300 quid
its a good time to buy a saab 9000 they are making half the money they were a year ago even aeros are reasonably cheap now
i wanted a 900 but settled on a 9000 coz theyre such bargains now

rocky ridge":k1vef6up said:
nooooooooooooooooo saab cruelty
what was up with the 900 then body wise it looked ok

Drivehsaft tunnels, boot floor, rear inner arches. Engine needed a full rebuild and it had eaten its 5th gearbox. Would have taken £2k to get it as I wanted it.

The Mrs hated it, and with the Beetle needing finishing, it was sadly lowest on the list of priorities. 8 years and 90,000miles together

ChrisR":k1vef6up said:
Lovely looking frame. Can't wait to see the rebuild of it.

Me neither!
Layering up decals today at lunch, then clear coating this afternoon if they get a chance hopefully

G

oh dear at least the saab was terminal not just needing a little work
yeah women dont get the saab thing do they girls are weird
5 gearboxes well done that takes some doing mate

Anyway.... progress on the frame has been held up this weekend as a result of various "wedding planning" related tasks and duties. These included;

- Buying my suit (very nice)
- trawling various craft type shops looking for an assortment of paper/glue/material/lace/edging/etc
- sittinjg in front of the laptop designing (more like pretending/blagging to know what I am doing) the invitations on PhotoShop
- cutting out 108 material squares for the handmade napkins
- cutting out 216 material triangles for the handmade bunting

The things we do to keep them happy ;)

Anyway, I applied the vinyl graphics to the frame on Friday, and will be painted in 2k clear laqcuer hopefully this afternoon. I should then be finished with it, and can build it back up in the week

Either way, it already looks fantastic. Its 100% unique, much in the same vain as GravyMonsters Gulf colour and ratty Kilauea's... however mine has a little personal touch.

As soon as its finished I will update

G

Right,
Photographic update time

Built, but needing that final "fettle"
357c459d.jpg

Out in the sun, and the Gold is sparkely... lovely

The idea came from GravyMonsters Gulf colour Kilauea, which is very impressive. I toyed with the idea of a similar, motorsport related scheme, so came up with Martini Racing, Marlboro Mclaren, but then I had a brainwave..... my Great Great Grandmother was Clemence Harriet Player, the grandaughter of John Player!! Seemed obvious really

That, and the Lotus 98T was the first F1 car that made me squiffy, when I was a kid :cool:

tmk0414ap281.jpg

Still have to source an appropriate XTR bottom bracket to sort the chainline, and a front mech, as all mine are bottom pull. I have always just run this bike as a 1x8
Have bought the gold CK, the gold crank bolts, and gold hope. The graphics, powdercoat, and 2k clearcoat has cost me nothing :cool:

Unsure what to do with the forks, however. Maybe paint them black with gold graphics? Maybe gold with black graphics? Maybe just polish them up silver?

I love it
G

I dont really like polished forks as they get dull so quick. I'd powdercoat black and get subtle (minimal) gold decals for them.

As for the bike, think it looks superb. Great job. Congratulations.

Back