Raleigh Triathlon 531

one_bad_mofo":r8cdzs1y said:
If memory serves me correctly it had a Shimano 105 groupset.

The sticker on the frame's a bit of a clue too!

I once went to look at one of these on Ebay locally to me. It turned out to be very rusty though, like this one, entirely redeemable. It went for silly money given the condition - over £100 irrc.

This is what I did with some T Cut and my fingernail!

Headtubebeforeandafter.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went for the wire wool dipped in oil technique, followed by a good T Cut and then polish, and it has come up a treat. Takes some time, but it was well worth it.

Obviously, there is a little discolouration, but the paintwork was not bubbling so it looks ok. Going to start building it back up tomorrow. The rust was only superficial, there was no rust inside the bottom bracket shell, seat tube or head tube, and I think Ive just caught it at the right time.

Could do with getting some 36 hole 700c rims now, as the wienmann ones are horrible, all the lacquer is peeling off, so after a new set if anybody knows of any going at a good price? They dont have to be wienmann ones either.

Thanks again!

SNight":3inzgtjn said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I went for the wire wool dipped in oil technique, followed by a good T Cut and then polish, and it has come up a treat. Takes some time, but it was well worth it.

Not so fast - pictures or it never happened! You can't take good advice and then not share the pleasure of the benefits!

rolf f":s4j3n26r said:
SNight":s4j3n26r said:

Not so fast - pictures or it never happened! You can't take good advice and then not share the pleasure of the benefits!

Ha ha, your right! Here you go then...

IMAG04041.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

YAY!.. looks respectable :)... look forward to seeing it finished :)

i'm chasing up my old man for some pictures of his.. i'll throw em in here for you ;)

well done bud.. pleasing isnt it...... :)

edit

just noticed that your rear break cable guides arnt on top of the top cross tube like they are my old mans.. and i'm sure his hasnt got rack/mudguard mounts on the rear drop outs... i need to investigate such details lol

yep got the mounts... but both frames route rear brake cable differently

DSCN2199.jpg

and heres one the day we finished the build.... ish.... its the best i have lol.. sorry for the flash of flesh LOL

DSCN2265.jpg

should have some post build pictures soon that DONT feature yours truly lol...

given that it's cleaned up ok I'd spray it over with a coat or two of acrylic laquer it'd bring the frame up quite nice and give it a bit of protection....well done BTW just shows what a bit of elbow grease and time can do, and you managed to save the graphics!

zotty":3ojfchby said:
YAY!.. looks respectable :)... look forward to seeing it finished :)

i'm chasing up my old man for some pictures of his.. i'll throw em in here for you ;)

well done bud.. pleasing isnt it...... :)

edit

just noticed that your rear break cable guides arnt on top of the top cross tube like they are my old mans.. and i'm sure his hasnt got rack/mudguard mounts on the rear drop outs... i need to investigate such details lol

Must be one of the later models, as my Quadra (which I suspect may have actually replaced the Triathlon - can anyone confirm this?) circa 1990 has the same brake cable guides and the "RALEIGH" embossing on the top of the seat stays. All versions seem to have had provision for fitting guards.

David

David B":1k4fbxi7 said:
Must be one of the later models, as my Quadra (which I suspect may have actually replaced the Triathlon - can anyone confirm this?) circa 1990 has the same brake cable guides and the "RALEIGH" embossing on the top of the seat stays. All versions seem to have had provision for fitting guards.

David

from what ive gleaned from dad. dad was an LBS owner and at a trade show running a stand and his actual one was the one on display on the Raleigh stand as a 'new' model which he gained ownership of at the end of the show after a few days of negotiation lol..

Back