1990 Marin Pine Mountain

Thanks, for the last few years it was showing its age and fitted with rear blackburn rack (for kiddie seat!) and full mudguards. It was time we both lost a few pounds! Hopefully the ss will help me on my way. Here is a picture with its wee sister a 91 Palisades. Five minutes after taking the photo the Exage rear mech snapped and ended up in the spokes. Looks like I have a new project.

Attachments

• Palisades.jpg
    Palisades.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 1,725
Your rebuild looks great, and is exactly what I am hoping to do with the Muirwoods frame that I have just bought. Could you list the components that you used for the SS conversion? I am hoping to use the existing crank so the main parts that I am interested in are the tensioner and rear hub arrangement.

Also really like the tyres, my last single speed had slicks and they rode really well, I find they work well with SS, especially for road or cycle path use.

Thanks!

Hi there, good luck with the conversion. Hope the following info helps: Original crankset with only outer 46 tpi chainring. You need shorter chain ring retaining bolts. For the rearwheel I am running a standard mavic rims with shimano hub and 9 speed freewheel. I fitted a  Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Conversion Kit and a Diamondback chain tensioner. The conversion kit is supplied with a 16 t and 18 t cog. I fitted the 18 t. It was all relatively straightforward. The sti gear shifters were integral with the brakes on the 1990 Marin but they failed years ago so I had cut them off and replaced them with standalone so I was able to keep the original deore brake levers.

I had a '89 Pine Mountain, & a good friend had a '90 at the same time
Think he px'd his for at Yeti FRO, or a 'Marin Titanium

Thanks Marinator, I think that covers everything!

Just one question, the wheels I am hoping to fit have a 7 speed hub, the gusset kit is listed as 8/9 speed, will it fit?

Really looking forward to completing this project, your advice has made the reserach a lot easier :)

I am pretty sure it will fit the seven speed. I have the old seven speed Araya / shimano wheel lying around, if I get a chance I will measure the length of the adapter and compare it to the length of the seven speed freewheel and let you know.

Nice to see another '90 Pine Mountain - looks in great nick too - how good is the original zolatone paint close-up?

Mine gets used mainly for the commute to work (and I've left all its gears in place) so I'm running narrow slicks but I've got a hankering for putting some knobblies back on and going off road on it occasionally. Having said that it's an absolute joy to ride on the road - love it to bits!

What's the plan for the Palisades?

Hi Sherlylock, the paint job on the Pine Mountain is all new, frame and fork, stem and bars. Matt Grey Super Plastikote spray from about a foot away so it goes on rough then rubbed down smooth gives a close resemblence to Zolatone. The bars are white primer, halford orange fluoro, a great match but very thin and took two cans cover, followed by four coats of plastikote clear gloss. They came up better than I could have imagined. This bike is for pottering around on.

The Palisades is all original paint and the frame is not to bad. I think a general clean up, remove the decals and replace with a new set from Gil at cycleshed, who supplied the decals for the Pine Mountain. Will replace the riser bars with flat bars painted to original fluoro. Replace brake blocks and all cables and that will be it. I replaced the Exage rear mech with Deore XT on Sunday and it runs well.

I will probably use the Palisades for commuting in the wet so lights and mudguards may find their way on there!

My current project, a Muirwoods, has exposed me to some lovely Marins, they were objects of desire in my youth and it has been a pleasure to learn more about them. I will be using mine for commuting too, I can take a bridleway to work, but not on my road bikes! The Muirwoods should be ideal.

whilst we are on the subject, can anyone recommend a stem?!

Back