Spray or powder coat

Dmnic3

Dirt Disciple
Currently starting out on a build for weekend riding. The frame needs a bit of work and am thinking or re-spraying or powder coating. What would be the best option?

Depends on the frame really........I've seen quite a few frames powder coated which have looked nice. Far better than the gloopy, very thick, frame lug hiding powder coating of old.

Cheaper too.

what frame is it?

Shaun

It's only an old Raleigh milk race so nothing special. I know someone who can get it powder coated for £35 so might go for that.

Dmnic3":15rukj6i said:
It's only an old Raleigh milk race so nothing special. I know someone who can get it powder coated for £35 so might go for that.

May as well, spray paint costs about a fiver a can...plus undercoat...plus all the prep work. At 35 quid its the obvious choice.

Two pack polyurethane spray paint is higher and longer lasting gloss. If done well it's a superb finish. If not done in properly filtered spraybooth it can be a bit gritty up close (like mine).

Powder coat is thicker and more hardwearing but lower gloss. Easier for the appplicator to get an acceptable and consistent quality.

I had 20 years in the paint industry, just my thoughts. Go with powder for a no-nonsense hardwearing finish where cosmetics are less critical than durability.

Ross 1964":2i93wj67 said:
Two pack polyurethane spray paint is higher and longer lasting gloss. If done well it's a superb finish. If not done in properly filtered spraybooth it can be a bit gritty up close (like mine).

Powder coat is thicker and more hardwearing but lower gloss. Easier for the appplicator to get an acceptable and consistent quality.

I had 20 years in the paint industry, just my thoughts. Go with powder for a no-nonsense hardwearing finish where cosmetics are less critical than durability.

My local powder coater tends to finish the job off with a top coat of glossy lacquer; they've now done 3 of my frames and the end results are great value for money (all things considered I'd reckon on the cost being about 1/4 that of a traditional stove enamelling job).

David

Hi David, it sounds like your applicator gives the best of both worlds, I learn something new every day! As long as he can keep the film thickness down (which good powder coaters can do) it sounds like a great solution.

Ross 1964":112e0q34 said:
Hi David, it sounds like your applicator gives the best of both worlds, I learn something new every day! As long as he can keep the film thickness down (which good powder coaters can do) it sounds like a great solution.

The only downside is that they don't do decals, so I have to sort those myself afterwards, giving the relevant areas a 'key' with very fine emery paper, applying the transfers and then making good the slight damage done to the lacquer; Plasti-Kote spray varnish seems pretty good for this.

David

Back