Retroroad Ride 2nd June - retrobeer build thread

Fantastic! I know exactly where you're coming from!

If you get out as far as Malvern any time I have many good beer-routes ranging between 5 mile sprints taking in a half dozen closely spaced pubs, out to 20 mile hilly killers with awesome micro-breweries as the prize. :)

Lovin your work ;-)

apache":2nyxiu6g said:
Fantastic! I know exactly where you're coming from!

If you get out as far as Malvern any time I have many good beer-routes ranging between 5 mile sprints taking in a half dozen closely spaced pubs, out to 20 mile hilly killers with awesome micro-breweries as the prize. :)

Lovin your work ;-)

Nice one :D

I'll try and persuade the Wyche Inn to have one, i'll let you know....

The beer has almost finished fermenting...more pictures tomorrow!!

Karl

Fantastic!!

Well looking forward to both road ride weekend and Mayhem !!

I can feel its going to be a MESSY one!! :cool:

The retrobike beer went on cool this morning, that is the level of sugar has fallen in the beer to a point where we want to almost stop the fermentation, so we pump a glycol / water mix around jackets which surround the tanks. This will drop the temperature from 20 degrees Celsius down 5 -6 degrees.

A little sugar is always left in the beer, this helps give body and support the malt and hop flavours, and the amount is determined in part by when you put the chillers on. Prepare for a little science :LOL:

Distilled water has a specific gravity (density) of 10.00, that is there is very little in it. As the sugar levels increases so does the density and with it the specific gravity. Our beer had an original specific gravity (original amount of sugar) of 1041.5 and we put the chillers on when the gravity reaches 1013. (see the photo attached reading 1012).

The fermentation will continue very slowly over the next few weeks (in the fermenter and in the cask) until it reaches a specific gravity of 1010. The sugar that has been digested (1041.5 – 1010) = 31.5 degrees of fermentation which when chucked into a calculation gives us an ABV of 4.1%....ta dah!!!

The beer is still looking sludgy (see photo) as yeast and protein are still in the process of settling out. Over the next 2 – 3 days it will clarify a little as stuff settles under gravity.

Next up...clarity tests!

Karl

Attachments

• IMGP2326.JPG
    IMGP2326.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMGP2328.JPG
    IMGP2328.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMGP2333.JPG
    IMGP2333.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 416
I picked some of this up on my way through to a holiday in Scotland last week.
Bloody luverly stuff, very quaffable, imbibe in large quantities if you get the chance.

And no, I'm not sponsored by Church End Brewery, although if they are looking for a PR/advertising exec, who's willing to be paid in beer, I'm your man :LOL:

Johnboy":1pd4gjxh said:
I picked some of this up on my way through to a holiday in Scotland last week.
Bloody luverly stuff, very quaffable, imbibe in large quantities if you get the chance.

And no, I'm not sponsored by Church End Brewery, although if they are looking for a PR/advertising exec, who's willing to be paid in beer, I'm your man :LOL:

Glad you enjoyed it John. Sorry we didnt get to meet up, i was going on holiday that day but in the opposite direction.

As for the aftermath, i forgot my camera and then drank to much beer in the afternoon so sorry :oops:

Final pictures and stuff to follow soon!

Back