Carbon or Titanium... the impossible choice.

IWish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I'm looking at buying a new bike. Something I can live with all the time. Right now I am looking at a longish travel carbon on one 456 or whippet maybe. Or a Titanium modern bike.

I'm looking at disc brakes and I'm not sure what else I'd want. I wouldn't mind a chainstay brake mount though over seatstay.

Id be running a 1-2x9 setup but there's nothing else to know I think. Oh, besides my budget. I'm looking at a £1,000 top spend. Id be buying the carbon frame new from on one unless I get a better suggestion at £300, titanium I'd be happy to buy used.

I think chainstay brake mounts are fiddly and awkward to space out if it can be done at all.

Titanium is forgiving and flexi to an extent where as carbon is harsh and unforgiving i believe (could be dependent on weave though, havent looked into it much).

Carbon is fragile but as you know is a good weight where as ti will be able to take more general scrapes and whatnot.

I dont think weight is an issue between the 2.

Ive riden Carbon, Aluminium and steel, but not Titanium. I find the Carbon lovely and a softer ride than Alu and less trail chatter. I do use a suspension seatpost - same on all but the full sus. But the carbon just feels nice, cant explain it, easier to ride with. Alot of how a carbon feels is aparently to do with the way the carbon weaves are layered together so different carbon frames may feel different. Im happy with my Giant MCM Team. If I were to push the bike with really rocky terrain and a nutter of a riding style Im not sure how much Id trust it though after all the storys you hear. A big question is how hard would you ride the bike? Big drops? jumps? etc? Im not sure I would trust the carbon if your doing big drops, jumps, etc? I dont do jumps, etc atleast not big enough to worry about.

Good info so far guys, not sure I like the voodoo though. Prefer the airborne I was offered a few days ago.

Also saw a ti 456 listed that I'm going to look into in the morning.

Carbon just doesn't require the same level of craftsmanship as Titanium, and as above a Ti frame should be considered a lifetime frame. I don't think anyone thinks that about carbon.

there's a video on pinkbike at santa cruz of testing a carbon Vs Aluminum frame to destruction, which showed the carbon frame to be stronger, albeit I think carbon is more succetible to massive failure from knocks and scrathes.

Ps

www.bustedcarbon.com

Think I'll stick with my Ti Xizang!!!

Ti

Carbon is too fragile.A bad scrape on Ti or alloy isnt too much of a problem but on carbon it allows moisture to penetrate into the fabric of it.That can lead to sudden and catastrophic failure.
Carbon doesnt show up on Xrays so ive the worst happens and you come into contact with the broken bits there they are likely to stay :? or working their way through and deeper.

The people you see riding carbon are the ones that dont own the bike so a damaged frame can be replaced at no cost to them.Its highly unlikely you would see them riding a scraped one on the race circuit and lets also note they dont fall off as much as we do :oops:

Carbon for roadies or pro riders in mountainbiking.Everyday usage or even just offroad then id stick to Ti :?
IMHO of course :)

The price difference is a factor too. I very rarely ride and pretty much never in anger. Mainly street too so I'm not worried ill break it on anything stupid. Most other components will probably be metal though. It depends on cost v strength.

I would go for ti. Will last near enough for ever no rust no corrosion no nasty splinters if you ever do manage to snap a frame.

I was told that carbon tends to absorb impacts (in the strands in the weave i presume) and then goes BANG and shatters into millions of tiny wittle pieces.

Back