1936 Curley Hetchins

perthsurf

Dirt Disciple
Yes hiding under that questionable paintwork is a 1936 Curley Hechins Brilliante.

I think a visit to the boys at Argos is in order!!!

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 777
Hetchins Vibrant, vibrant Hetchins.

Certainly looks like it could be a Brilliant (no"e") they came as a No1 or No2.

Whilst they are often referred to as"curly"the distinctive rear triangle is correctly referred to as"vibrant".

I have a 1947 Super Special, in my family from new, and one of only 24 Super Specials known to have survived.

Your Brilliant will look superb once restored, and Argos are very good but not inexpensive!

Roadking.

Hetchins, and rightly so!

biggs682":1hwoar48 said:
i wish my dad had kept his curly !

It is so nice to have"family"machines, and despite the popularity of many other great makers, Hetchins especially"proper ones, ie. those built by Hetchins themselves in Tottenham or Southend, will still remain among the most desirable/collectable (and valuable) bicycles.

I've just spent the last year and a half collecting the missing correct components for my SS, and this coming winter it'll have it's expensive restoration.

Roadking.

I'm fortunate enough to own one too.....while its good to restore it, you only have original paint once....
Is it really that bad?

I'm not a big fan of over restoring......but its your bike!

stedlocks":itkqoa6i said:
I'm fortunate enough to own one too.....while its good to restore it, you only have original paint once....
Is it really that bad?

I'm not a big fan of over restoring......but its your bike!

I know.

My attitude is simple, unless its really nice and original - really nice - then it will get a Pebble Beach restoration in order to do it justice.

Most people IMO, who criticise"over restoration"usually don't have the resources to do it anyway.

My Grandad wouldn't want it looking like it does now.

Rk.

But be honest, from that photo up there^^, can you really say it needs restoration?

I can't........mine is a one owner, magnum bonum, with quite distinctive features, possibly unique, I would never consider restoration. And it has a few chips, that only serve to remind others of it's history.

In my view, some people restore bikes that don't really need it, ....and have no appreciation of 'patina'...no matter how many (much?) resources they have.
Once it's gone, it's gone.......it might be shiny though.

Like I said though, it's his bike, and each to their own.

stedlocks":3htjm9s7 said:
But be honest, from that photo up there^^, can you really say it needs restoration?

I can't........mine is a one owner, magnum bonum, with quite distinctive features, possibly unique, I would never consider restoration. And it has a few chips, that only serve to remind others of it's history.

In my view, some people restore bikes that don't really need it, ....and have no appreciation of 'patina'...no matter how many (much?) resources they have.
Once it's gone, it's gone.......it might be shiny though.

Like I said though, it's his bike, and each to their own.

I was referring to my Hetchins as my Grandad was a perfectionist and would appreciate the patina it has - he'd restore it.

But patina is an interesting subject, some old timers I know have bikes with"patina"and the bikes look like they've been doing duty as a boat anchor: that isn't patina.

But I agree broadly about keeping original if possible according to the"standards"of the owner.

Roadking.

But each scratch tells a story!

If its knackered though, then sometimes resto is needed to keep it alive and looking good.....
I was referring to that one up there^^ ;)

Incidentally, the vibrant rear end, whether an advertising ploy or not, appears to work superbly!
I don't know about yours, but mine is, by far, the most comfortable bike I own....!

Some will come and go, but my hetchins is a keeper.

Back