Any such thing as a decent folding MTB?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Let me explain: As well as bikes, my wife and I own a couple of horses. During the summer we usually go down to West Somerset and stay at a B&B with livery, so we take the dobbins along with us.

Now despite riding (the horse) for sometimes six or seven hours, there are evenings when sitting in front of the telly just does not appeal, and with an almost unlimited supply of superb rides in the area (which is why we take the horses), it would be great to have a bike with me, but, the 4 X 4 is stuffed with clothes and horse related gubbins, and the tow hitch has a two horse trailer attached, so there's no room for a bike.

So, the thought occurred, that I might be able to squeeze a folding bike in somewhere, maybe even strap it on the back of the trailer, but are any of them any good?

The Montague's look cool but cost a packet. The Slingshot frame is down to under £200 but weighs 2.7kgs bare :shock:

Any suggestions?

A kilo here and there is hardly a big deal for the convenience.

I have done similar and throwing normal bikes on the roof is obvious when you are towing a much taller trailer anyway. :)

Not much of a roof rack fan, first because of the potential for damage, we are talking single track lanes in West Somerset here, and also because of the cost, which I looked into when my only car was our Shogun.

Maybe I could get a couple of tube joiners installed in an ordinary steel frame, and make my own 'Retro-Folder' :cool:

I have the same issue towing the caravan, been looking at MaxxRaxx tow hitch bike racks, on the hitch not the ball so still allows towing but with a more limited turning circle.

My car's hitch/nose weight doesn't really allow it but your 4x4 should.

As for folders, I doubt it really, MTB's are made for piling down hill the last thing you need in the middle is a hinge.

A frame rack if your A is long enough?
Fiamma rack on the horse trailer?

An A frame rack might work, but I can't put a rack on the back of the trailer, as that's the way the horses go in! Anything that stops me opening the tailgate of the 4X4 is also out, as there a fair bit of stuff that has to go in there during the course of loading, travelling and unloading.

Looks like an A frame rack or a roof box and put a bike in a travelling bag.

Unless someone has a better idea ;)

Why not cary the bikes on the side of the Horsebox on a couple of suitable brackets? Loosen the stem so the handlebars lie parrallel to the frame? One on each side - shouldn't protrude beyond the Mudguards.

Dahon do a 26" folder, the bits aren't great but the frame would be a reasonable platform for upgrading. All folders are a bit of a compromise.

Fairly high mounted carrier on the front of the horse trailer?
I haven't had a horse box for a while but if memory serves you could mount it fairly high on the front and it would'nt effect the turning circle.
Just a thought ;)

Back