Saracen ltd Edition Eiger......NEED INFO ON BIKE!

RaleighChopper

Retro Newbie
Hi, Picked up this Saracen Eiger, and been trying to reference it and cant find anything, anywhere! Anyone know what year? Really nice retro bike in great shape, but most references to Eigers I can find, they pale in comparison. Info be appreciated![/img]

Attachments

• bike 1.JPG
    bike 1.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 611
  • bike2.JPG
    bike2.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 610
I reckon it's a 1996 or 97 model year bike. Similar in spec to the RuffTrax and HardTrax bikes in the 96 catalogue here: --> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 6.pdf.html

The Eiger was sometimes a Halfords exclusive model which did not appear in the Saracen catalogue, hence the lack of information.

It may also have been one of Saracen's infamous spare parts/leftovers bikes which used up older frames and whatever was in plentiful supply at their Warwick factory.

The frame looks much older than 96/97. It has canti-brake hangers and a rear- facing slot on the seat tube. The other odd thing is, if this was actually assembled later on by Saracen, then why use a threaded headset and quill stem - which were quite old school by then?
The Eiger used to be a decent model in it's own right I thought, but happy to be proved wrong. If this bike was really assembled for sale in 96/97 then Saracen must also have had spare stocks of older design headsets etc. Another possibility is this was purchased by the owner earlier than 96 and upgraded, possibly even resprayed too.

Having looked at the catalogue though your frame does look like something from saracen's sport range so perhaps this bike was made to use up older frame designs/parts.

Appreciate the help guys!

Yeah, bike had me confused thats why I made a post. Not in catalogues or anything. Most older Eigers dont have suspension forks, and these seem to match the bike! Think the bike is a mutt, assembled from leftovers.....I will call it "Borg" lol.

Latest posts

Back