Spreading forks on steel frame

retro-rich

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Raleigh wisp problems again....

I bought a cheap set of 27 inch wheels from the lbs, as the spokes on the originals are a bit beyond help and not cleaning up well.

The rear oln of the new wheels is 130mm, the frame is 126mm and the forks spring open ok.

The new front wheel is 100mm, and the.forks are only 95mm, is it ok to spread steel front forks? I've read about the rears being spread without cold setting but not the fronts, is this generally ok to do? It's a bog standard steel frame, not Reynolds anything.

The forks dropouts are completely flat, the old wheels had some dish shaped washers which centred the axle into the dropouts, the new one has only flat washers, it now needs a bit of faffing to get the wheel straight. Should I be seeking out some of the same style washers which will fit this axle?

If you are really worried you may be able to lose a bit across the lock nuts by using thinner ones or removing a spacer. Having said that and depending on the quality and condition of the fork I would just tug a bit as i stick the wheel in. In theory the dropouts wouldn't be perfectly in line but that won't be noticed.

The forks seem solid enough, the resprayer said when he stripped it there was hardly any sign of rust, just some light rust on the bb threads is all I can see, so whilst not super gigs quality, just standard Raleigh steel 80's output, I think it's fairly strong still.

It goes in easy enough with a small amount of pulling on the forks, as I say I need to straighten the wheel a bit as I tighten up, I guess that's the fact the dropouts are a touch out of line causing that.

What it usually means is that one fork blade is a bit weaker than the other and is deflecting more...........if it's going to be permanent then either file the top of the dropout where the spindle sits or get the forks set.

Or just accept it :)

Shaun

Funnily enough I have been looking at a similar problem today as the Raleigh Flyer is 120mm at the back (have not looked at the front yet). Apparently this is not a common size these days.

I am thinking about grinding down the ends of the hub a little to fit the frame. I can replace that easily if a bugger it up. The frame is not so easy to sort if I make a balls of it.

However before I do this I am going to try and get some wheels that are actually the right size but am looking at this as an option if they prove to be hard to find or a bit pricey.

Having thought about my post above when I was looking at some wheels, I have realised that by trimming the spacer on the hub I am going to make the wheel off centre.

Back