19?? Carrera Krakatoa GT

Definatly a 1990.

Carrera used to advertise that model strapped to someones back who was climbing up cliffs as a double page spread in MBUK through 1990.

Free Bike!

I've recently been given one of these, I think it's reynolds 500 frame, it's in pretty good order, I've Stipped it, cleaned it up & reassembled. All seems fine, think I might keep it for a while.

I am certain that this is 1989. I had the blue and white rockhopper with mountain lx. My sister had one of those and some ice skating lessons the same year?!?

Hers was from halfords (to be even more certain they had a rockhopper on sale from the previous year which was green and had a U brake. Pretty certain that was 88 ).

AAAhhhhh...

Hers was not GT and hers had exage country all over it.

I guess (before everyone moans at me for false info this is the later model (by a year). The colour scheme is the same though.

This is definitely the 1989-90. The light blue relative that Halfords also did was the Carrera Katmandu which was the next one up in the range. The Krakatoa had this paintjob for 2 years I think, the Katmandu the same. I had a Katmandu, did my first race on it and when it was stolen I was so gutted I bought another one without even considering what to do with the insurance money. I think the two had the same geometry and as I recall they didn't handle too badly although aged 15 I probably didn't know better.

I have been watching this one on Ebay. I have been tempted to buy it but am holding out for a white Raleigh Mirage instead as despite the fact I always wanted one of these. They came out about a month after I bought my old Mirage and loads of my mates got them and I was well jealous but I am going to hold fire for the Mirage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/carrera-k...elivered-complete-ready-to-ride-/261041032766

SAM_1370.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've had a Krakatoa, when they were a few years old. Mine was a '90 and looked exactly the same as yours Exage 300 LX?

It was OK then pretty heavy, but not terrible

Incidentally, I had a Katmandu recently, Oversized Reynolds 501 a real shame the oversizing made it feel really dead and it weighed a friggin' ton. Had Deore LX on it and XT thumbies which made it worth the £30 purchase price

I have to admit to weighing in the frame. the finish was knackered and it wasn't worth doing anything with it

The Mirage has a cool frame and forks, 501. Proper 501 not trendy (back then) Gimmicky - oversized for no good reason - waste of good steel - poo

Back