• Hacksaw blade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drill it out

• Persist with anti-seize and quill stem

• Total voters
Jussa":32pex7v9 said:
Well, I have a frame in with my local engineering company, they are cutting a thread into the stuck alloy seatpost, then screw in a bar and using a reverse hammer (Think thats what he called it) to extract it. The jolts in both directions un-seize it and eventually the whole thing comes unstuck and your left with a Frame without a Stuck Seatpost. Simples.

Jussa :)

In theory...

As the seat tube is cracked and it will need a repair and likely repaint then you may as well go for an oxy acetylene torch or caustic really - your not in any worry of saving the paintwork or such.

taffy":1eo0uhdb said:
As the seat tube is cracked and it will need a repair and likely repaint then you may as well go for an oxy acetylene torch or caustic really - your not in any worry of saving the paintwork or such.

If it is a Alloy post that will not work, especially if it is a steel frame.

I had a mega stuck post, steel frame, alloy shim and alloy post. I ruined the post trying to remove it, tried caustic soda, plus gas etc with no luck. In the end I took it to my local machine shop and they removed it, not sure how, they might have even reamed it out. Cost me £20 which I though was a bargain.

Soak it in Rost Off Ice for as long as required, which could be many weeks.

Every week clamp the seat tube in a big mutha vice on a hefty work bench and wiggle.

Heat from a flame on the frame tube may help, but use an orange flame and not acetylene.

Or take it to any half way decent engineering shop.

bluedazzler":25r6d8lk said:
Jussa":25r6d8lk said:
Well, I have a frame in with my local engineering company, they are cutting a thread into the stuck alloy seatpost, then screw in a bar and using a reverse hammer (Think thats what he called it) to extract it. The jolts in both directions un-seize it and eventually the whole thing comes unstuck and your left with a Frame without a Stuck Seatpost. Simples.

Jussa :)

In theory...

Well it worked, admittedly the engineering company made it look easy but then it's their job :)

Ammonia and penetratimg oil (not wd40) for me everyime..soaked on the inside (if you can seal it) and out. Will take any decals off but should leave the paintwork ok...unlike caustic.

Worked on every one so far...especially along with the LGF technique

Sorry, I'm a berk. Just re read and see the post is snapped off in the frame.

To the engineers I go, get that sod removed by sold old feller with a grey beard and a name line 'Derek'.

Any frame I've had with a stuck seatpost (and I've had a few :roll: ) go straight to local engineering outfit, say 'I'm not in a hurry' and leave it with them for a week or so to do in a lunch break. Normally costs about a tenner.

retroyetirigid":3lynxzdx said:
Any frame I've had with a stuck seatpost (and I've had a few :roll: ) go straight to local engineering outfit, say 'I'm not in a hurry' and leave it with them for a week or so to do in a lunch break. Normally costs about a tenner.

Bugger mine cost £15 :( but then still worth every penny and no damage was sustained during the process :D if I had done it I'm guessing it would have ended up messy.

Ok, this is the best picture I could take in my slightly hungover state

Richter+Seat+Post.JPG

I've just introduce a healthy fresh dose of PlusGas to it.

I hadn't thought of taking it somehwere to get them to get it out for me. If I can find somewhere nearby that will do it for £10-£20 then that is probably the best option, tempting as the caustic soda is. I don't have a car, which makes it a little harder to take it anywhere, but I should be able to get round that.

Back