1985 DiamondBack Apex

Re: Spoked chainstay

s1monf":seak27et said:
Just had a closer look, what's the 3 spoke chainstay thingy all about? :?

Its not something unique to Diamond backs of this vintage, it's just a handy little touch incorporated into a frame that could be used for touring/expedition use. It seems to double as a chainstay protector on here, I've seen them underneath & on seat stays before. Obv its only any use if its tailored to the spoke length on that bike also.

Re the frame finish though, I agree that too much touching-in will potentially look a mess.

Funny you should mension the rear brake as I was just cleaning it up. It's a Cunningham designed Suntour XC power roller cam, it's very nice but it's just a shame it resides under the chainstays where it cannot be seen.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

The spoke holder must be one of my favourite features of the bike. Here is another Apex.

chainstay.jpg

Love it ! :cool:

I think a refinish will be much deserved on an old beastie like this. I know a place that could help on the decals if you get stuck ;)

The frame number suggests that this bike was made for the devil himself. :twisted:
Scary but i like it. :cool:

juice":f1i9u1hz said:
The frame number suggests that this bike was made for the devil himself. :twisted:
Scary but i like it. :cool:

Yes I did notice the frame number :twisted:

GM, I would appreciate the decal contact, I dare not strip the paint until I'm happy with the new decals matching the old but getting good replicas is difficult.

Loving this what a great find its a beauty
the spoke thingy is ace too
did it really have riser bars originally ?
I am a DB fan as my first ride was an Arrival 1989 ;)

captaincosmic":1vnyc3nz said:
Loving this what a great find its a beauty
the spoke thingy is ace too
did it really have riser bars originally ?
I am a DB fan as my first ride was an Arrival 1989 ;)

Yep the stem and bars are original. Flat bars was just a fad of the 90's

Wow thanks for that I learnt something today risers are retro and flats were just a phase :shock:
All my bikes except the Jekyll (2000) have flats and it turns out the newest is the truest :LOL:

Back