• Persist with anti-seize and quill stem

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I recently acquired a 1993 GT Richter 8.0 frame, only to find out it has a severe case of stuck seat post.

I've tried a week of soaking with PlusGas and then trying the LGF method of inserting a 1" quill stem and bars, but to now avail.

So which approach should I try next?

Considerations:

* The post is sheared off about 2" down into the seat tube, but different heights all the way around with a jagged edge

* The paint isn't in great condition, so it will probably need repainting anyway

* The seat tube is cracked at the top, where someone has clamped in a smaller diameter seat post above the one that is stuck, so that will also need repairing

* I think I measured about 200mm of seat post stuck in there

I've pretty much read through every thread on stuck seat posts, but any advice gratefully received.

Cant see the quill stem method working on this one. Surely it will just expand the post in the frame making it harder to get out. Think chemical attack is your friend here. Dont forget to film it :LOL: .

Well, I have a frame in with my local engineering company, they are cutting a thread into the stuck alloy seatpost, then screw in a bar and using a reverse hammer (Think thats what he called it) to extract it. The jolts in both directions un-seize it and eventually the whole thing comes unstuck and your left with a Frame without a Stuck Seatpost. Simples.

Jussa :)

The reverse hammer sound intriguing, but unless I can fashion something similar from the tools in my garage I might have to rule that method out!

I'll try to put up a picture over the weekend to illustrate the state it's in.

If it was mine i would try driving it a bit further into the frame with a hammer and a old seat post to get it moving, then use penetrating oil and the lgf method to try and get it out of the frame.

Caustic soda for me. The frame is a repainter anyway with the crack repair. Hacksawing it out is a horrible job.

hamster":1tkh27hg said:
Caustic soda for me. The frame is a repainter anyway with the crack repair. Hacksawing it out is a horrible job.

Agreed. Caustic soda is nasty stuff but quick and easy if you need to repaint anyway.

If there is a remote possibility that you won't repaint, give it a few days with a combination of Ammonia and the quill stem method as no damage caused. That's my preferred method, although decent strength Ammonia is getting harder to come by these days.

kingoffootball":lyovkaqe said:
The reverse hammer sound intriguing

I think by the sounds of it they are going to try using a slide hammer on it something like this. A thread will be cut into the seatpost then a long piece of allthread screwed into that. Then a heavy piece of round bar with a hole through will be slid over the allthread followed by one or two nuts screwed onto the end. Then they'll continually use the heavy piece of bar to smack against the nuts on the end, hopefully pulling the seatpost a little with it each time. Hope this makes sense, I'm crap at explaining things.

Sounds like a good idea to me :D .

Here's a stock photo of a slide hammer that I found........

Attachments

• otc-1156.JPG
    otc-1156.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,781
Caustic soda ftw Will, just dont forget to invite me round to 'assist' :LOL:

weeman_mtb":3pvbo1aq said:
kingoffootball":3pvbo1aq said:
The reverse hammer sound intriguing

I think by the sounds of it they are going to try using a slide hammer on it something like this. A thread will be cut into the seatpost then a long piece of allthread screwed into that. Then a heavy piece of round bar with a hole through will be slid over the allthread followed by one or two nuts screwed onto the end. Then they'll continually use the heavy piece of bar to smack against the nuts on the end, hopefully pulling the seatpost a little with it each time. Hope this makes sense, I'm crap at explaining things.

Sounds like a good idea to me :D .

Here's a stock photo of a slide hammer that I found........

That's the bad boy :) works a treat and no messy chemicals :D

Back