Which one would you buy? (I bought the Voodoo!)

The Hoo Doo wouldn't be a bad bet - they seem to get very good reviews.

Halfords can sometime be OK if you get a Bike Hut with cyclists working in it....I've used my local one a few times to tap on headset races which they have never charged me for. My LBS charged me a fiver!

Went for the Voodoo Hoodoo :D

006-1.jpg

Enjoy your new ride.

Don't forget to give some feedback on how you get on with it?

al. :D

I love the red finish on these, picture doesnt do it justice.

They are pretty solid performers, rarely go wrong with a little maintenence.

rocky ridge":1pzy8aq9 said:
i disagree halfords did kill the lbs in my town
nothing they sell spares wise is any good its all plastic garbage
we had two loacl bike shops a proper one and a streetwise cheap bikes for people who dont care what they buy or ride
one was run by a proper old boy who used to have most things you would need or would get them in for you in a weekish
charged a good price did little jobs for free sometimes he was a right good bloke and would love to help people fix things and lend you his tools and had loads of old retro stuff stored away for you to drool over as a teen i used to love going in there for a chat and a dream
he gave me a free mongoose frame once what a top bloke so obviously halford is better than he was people are mental
now tell me why anyone would go to halfords when you could get this service
my mate asked if halfords could tighten his brake cables they said 12 quid to tighten two cables up

I call ballshit!!!

I've had dealings with many bike shops over the years, in-fact, my granddad and uncle owned a bike shop. What's more than likely to kill off local bikes shops are the outrageous business rates that local councils charge small businesses which then gets squandered on fancy "team building" days out or trips to the Congo to see how the local inhabitants are dealing with waste management issues.

I'll tell you who are the worst type of bike shop, the likes of Evans who are absolutely appalling in every aspect of their business model. You get spotty yoofs who know diddly-squat about anything bike related, but thats not the worst part, the prices are an outrage. Take ParkTools as an instance, you can pick up a multi tool from the likes of Evans [and smaller outfits] for £30, take a trip down to halfords and you'll see exactly the same spec tool for £15. You can be a mug and pay 'fancy prices' for the same thing you'll get at Halfords, I'll spend my money with them and save quite a few quid at the same time thanks.

The thing to remember about Halfords (I don't work for them by the way) is that they cater for the average joe who isn't looking for the highest spec bike out there. People buying bikes at Halfords are looking to buy something to go on holiday with or a jolly-up around the local park and not something tricked out in titanium and carbon that weighs less than a gnats fart.

And going on local bikes shops for a moment, some of them are charging stupid, silly money, as are companies charging for servicing forks and rear shocks. I've a DT Swiss EX200 on my bike that Pace want £80 frickin sheets to service, I'm sure they'd want me to turn up at their workshop, pull my pants down and have something inserted in my rectum too...I pulled the thing apart last night, it's got a few 'O' rings in it and some foam, thats it, and they want £80 bloody large for servicing that...**** off, I didn't just fall down in the last shower.

You think £12 to have brakes tightened is expensive, only a few weeks back I bought new front and rear XT brake set, the local bike shop wanted £50 to fit them...which didn't happen, I fitted them myself for free and took minutes. I should add, I've never fitted disk brakes ever until that point which goes to show how much local shops are taking liberties.

Back