Fun question, how far back is cycling in your family?

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Here's mine -

Circa 1900.

Ancestors in the West Tarring Excelsior Cycling Club in West Sussex nr Worthing. They were probably members before this date as I have a barometer that was presented to them in 1900.

Roadking.

Attachments

• WestTarring1900.jpg
    WestTarring1900.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 575
that's pretty cool! I know my grandparents used to tour on a tandem in the 40s (maybe late 30s too?), but other than that know nothing at all really...

foz":142jw7d1 said:
that's pretty cool! I know my grandparents used to tour on a tandem in the 40s (maybe late 30s too?), but other than that know nothing at all really...

That's cool too...cycling in the 30s or 40s, especially touring would have would have been very much like exploring in the pure sense as we take travel so much for granted these days.

When my Dad was 16 he and a friend tandemmed(?)from Surrey to south Devon in a day, and my Wife's Dad did a tour of the Loire Valley in 1953 on the Hobbs of Barbican I still have.

In fact I did 30 miles on the Hobbs on Diamond Jubilee day.

Cheers, Rk.

Well i know my mother bought her bianchi in the late 40s, still got it today and its in much better nick than some of my other bikes.

My grandparents on my Dad's side bought a Selbach tandem that my dad
restored a few years ago. We worked out that it just be pre-WWII. It's still in the garage at home - it didn't get ridden as much as my dad hoped because my mum hated it :(

Also, my grandad was a radio engineer who worked on Hurricane radios during WWII. He 'commuted' from Oldham to Falmouth on his bike during the war - unfortunately, we don't have that bike any more.

Johnny

Fascinating stories guys, keep 'em coming.

Thanks Piperdave for the lead, I am often based in Rustington nr Worthing.

Roadking.

I have an old photo of a tandem in my Gt Grandmothers back yard, probably something my grandparents used to use, I guess circa 40's or 50's.

Not actual cycling, but my grandmother also worked in several cycle factories making chains etc, there was a lot of them in Brum back then.

Going further back, when I did family history research I found a couple of relatives going back to early 1900's late 1890's with trades of cycle worker or tube bender.

Only me!

I broke the cricket/soccer/badminton mould which was a bit of a disappointment to my Dad - but he got over it when he saw me doing reasonably well. He even started taking me to races.

Mind you, my Grandfather used to do his insurance agent round by bike. In fact, he died cycling back home after visiting us when I was about 5 years old. Does that count?

Back