Wanted 61 tooth chainring

You'll be very lucky "our kid" to find that. Watched a 60 and a 62, 64, 66 go through the bay last year but the seller only had what he had of these very rare "above 56" types. They also are 144bcd )A for strength, and B) because the era they where around in was predominantly Campagnolo 144bcd era. I ride a Campagnolo 56t sometimes and it takes some doing. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, but I doubt 1 will turn up soon, and certainly wont be cheap. I'll PM you if I find anything, yours Laz.

Edit: Here's another thought for you : " Will the Shimano ? 130bcd crank arms take the strain of even trying to run a 61 ?" The Campagnolo Pista crank arms used to power these monster chainrings where specially designed for the stresses of high toothed track stuff. I'd suggest thinking about changing the cranks to Campagnolo 135bcd Pista (C-Record era)OR ideally Campagnolo 144bcd SuperRecord/Pista cranks. At least if 1 turns up you'll have chance of getting it onto a crank arm designed for its use. Best of luck, yours Laz.

Lazarus":f6tgasqa said:
You'll be very lucky "our kid" to find that. Watched a 60 and a 62, 64, 66 go through the bay last year but the seller only had what he had of these very rare "above 56" types. They also are 144bcd )A for strength, and B) because the era they where around in was predominantly Campagnolo 144bcd era. I ride a Campagnolo 56t sometimes and it takes some doing. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, but I doubt 1 will turn up soon, and certainly wont be cheap. I'll PM you if I find anything, yours Laz.

Edit: Here's another thought for you : " Will the Shimano ? 130bcd crank arms take the strain of even trying to run a 61 ?" The Campagnolo Pista crank arms used to power these monster chainrings where specially designed for the stresses of high toothed track stuff. I'd suggest thinking about changing the cranks to Campagnolo 135bcd Pista (C-Record era)OR ideally Campagnolo 144bcd SuperRecord/Pista cranks. At least if 1 turns up you'll have chance of getting it onto a crank arm designed for its use. Best of luck, yours Laz.

Cheers matey , It was in work today when a sales rep asked about one and he didnt look the cycling sort and when he asked for this size even I was amused as he said he wanted it because he didnt like to pedal fast !!
So I will pass on the advice recieved so far to him :LOL:

Doesn't like to pedal fast :) he does realise that pushing a big gear will be hard work though doesn't???

Surely 53x11 would be a big enough gear. Although saying that my sister complained about having to pedal too fast on her mtb so I fitted it with a 53t and she still complained that it was not highly gears enough....

Alf Engers used a 57 tooth jobby to beat 50 mins for the 25 back in 1978......not sure *anybody* would use anything bigger unless paced LOL

Shaun

No probs buddy, you're welcome :) All the best yours Laz.

Hey Tel, " Although saying that my sister complained about having to pedal too fast on her mtb so I fitted it with a 53t and she still complained that it was not highly gears enough.... ". If she's using the standard 30-27-24-21 MTB block no wonder she said that :) MTB ratios seem like a waste of time to me on the road.

I rarely ride less than 53-52 (depending on the bike I'm on) and on exceptional occassions will drop begrudgingly to the 42 inner, but only when needs must. I'm a low cadence rider myself. It's the block that makes the bike IMHO. I rarely use less than straight sprint 19-18-17-16-15-14-13-12-(11 from the old days when they used to snap and rip your nuts off on the top tube). Inheritted a set of lovely Mavic 501's on MA40's last year on a bike I bought from a guy who did LEJOG. The block makes me hate things in life its that bad. The ratios are simply MTB stuff like 27-23-21-19-17. God I hate it ;) Switch the block to a sprint, and she'll get used to riding 42-17 >12, and have the same ratios in her tank for "fast rides" on the 53. Not many can ride 53-12 for very long periods unless they are chained, even then it can take its toll. I think 53-12 chainganged is an average of 30mph. Later buddy, Laz.

PS if changing the block fails, take her weetabix off her :)

PS: Shaun, "riding 56 is actually very smooth once you get started but it's a crap ride for inner city. I use the 44 to zip around until I get clear of the city limits and lights etc, then use it. It really is an experience to ride this big on the road. I got converted after buying a bike with a 54 fitted. I think 56 is my whack though, it does drain the legs quickly unless you have nice tailwind / no headwind. Later buddy, Laz.

Laz

Just out of interest I've ridden both styles...........in the winter we used to have a low gear fixed bike and we "twiddled".

"twiddling" was rather like today's gym "spinners" I guess LOL

Then in anger we "pushed" big gears in time trials and somewhere in between we rode kermesses and road traces.

Sadly my legs seemed too long for twiddling and I didn't have the grunt to push huge gears. There were fierce arguments on club runs about each others style, the older ones shaking their heads at our "big" gears....

Shaun

Back