NOS 1985 Raleigh team panasonic super record build.

Looking really good :cool:

Think I'd steer clear of titanium axles though, didn't they have a tendency to snap.
Remember watching a race on TV where it happened to Fignon, ouch.

bedraggled":2jyif68a said:
Looking really good :cool:

Think I'd steer clear of titanium axles though, didn't they have a tendency to snap.
Remember watching a race on TV where it happened to Fignon, ouch.

I'd heard of the titanium axle thing, I will probably never buy some but this bike will only ever be ridden gently and I don't weigh alot either :LOL:

Fook! :shock:

teambikes008.jpg

Lovely. Paint scheme reminds me of the famous Crane Brothers and their travel books from the mid-late 80s (there's where 753 frames).

crane_journey.jpg

otherself":1r3ficza said:
Lovely. Paint scheme reminds me of the famous Crane Brothers and their travel books from the mid-late 80s (there's where 753 frames).

crane_journey.jpg

Never heard of them but looks interesting, I will look out for the book if it's still in print. And wafer thin 753 frames with panniers and crap roads??!!! wonder how well the frames stood up ? :shock: :LOL:

shawnb":224dsa06 said:
otherself":224dsa06 said:

crane_journey.jpg

Never heard of them but looks interesting, I will look out for the book if it's still in print. And wafer thin 753 frames with panniers and crap roads??!!! wonder how well the frames stood up ? :shock: :LOL:

They wanted to travel as light as possible. I recall they even cut their eating fork, knife and spoon handles off to save weight, only took the inner refil of a biro to write with, and only took 1 pair of underwear!

I believe the forks were 531 but main frames were for sure 753.

Know I mentioned it elsewhere about the Record Sprint, but I think it is because those old Raleighs were actually a part of my life they mean so much more. A beautiful old Colnago for example is like a 1980's Ferrari, I may have had a poster of one on my wall, but that was as close as I got. The Raleigh is more like an old Cortina. It puts a bigger smile on my face than the super car because it was part of my real life and makes up the memories of places we went with it, not just the places I dreamt of going.

Still a great looking machine, you've done it justice.

Back