Hope Tech Upgrading issues-Update :D

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Thought i'd write this to hopefully prevent a few headaches

I have a set of the above and decided to upgrade the ano parts to red to match in with my other red ano bits on the Mystery Ti
4 reservoir caps,2 calliper bore caps and 2 lever blades comes in at about £70
Swopping the caps over is an easy job but i thought the bore caps would be tricky as they need to go though the calliper from the inside out[new style] The levers i also thought would be easy but fiddly[which im not good at]
Right enough the bore caps were a fiddly messy job and a bit tricky to refit,but not too difficult for the wheelcraft mechanics to do even though they havent done this model before.

The big problem ,and this is the reason for this post,was the bite point and lever reach adjusters
At the back of them is a tiny circlip the type of which that doesnt have a wee gap to lever it off,theres nothing but less than a millimetre to grab with needle nosed pliers
He tried,i tried,he tried and together with a sharpened spoke end eventually got the bloody things off
Right you think now it will be easy to unscrew the adjusters freom the old lever and screw them into the new red one,replace the circlips and bobs your proverbial
NOT SO :evil:
The adjuster screw ends had mushroomed over and wouldnt come out
These brakes ive had for about a year but havent put them through much certainly not heavy squeezing to cause the ends to flatten like that.Took a bit but in the end i had to unscrew them myself using a cloth to protect my fingers and because any damage would be my responsibility.
I forced them out with great difficulty undoing a bit then easing off and repeating till they were out
HOORAY :D
Now they wont go in to the new levers
Shite :cry:
Mechanic had to file the ends and dress them which he did and now they go in
A job that should have taken 30-45 mins took nearly 3hours.

While talking to the boss [Big Al] he suggested phoning hope to tell them the problems and although i didnt want to because it was from his phone and i could end up very annoyed at them,but by then he's phoned them and passed the phone over
I explained what had happened and that the mushrooming had not only caused much extra work but had left the adjuster screws a little less secure than they should be.the circlip is on but you can actually unscrew them completely with the circlip coming right off the end.

Must say the chap on the phone was excellent and very attentive.I didnt feel there was anything else they could do as to me it was just a heads up for them.
Im about to hang up when he tells me he will send me free gratis new bite point and reach adjustment screws and which colour would i like.
I laughingly said Team Green :p :LOL: to which he said Sure. No problem.

:shock: :shock:
Theyll be in the shop in a couple of days :D
I dont like red+green and to be honest wouldnt want to disturb the old ones and put the mechanic to any further bother so they'll be getting hidden away in the special stash :D

Seems if you want to upgrade your levers,dont try to remove the adjusters also that would cause too much hassle,best to replace them as well.
Im, saying this because when i bought all this stuff there was nothing to say that the original adjusters can and do mushroom slightly

Attachments

• Hope Tech X2 red ano upgrade 004 (Large).JPG
    Hope Tech X2 red ano upgrade 004 (Large).JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 1,389
Hope customer service really is second to none.

It's very hard not to justify the cost of some of their kit when you consider how good their after sales care is.

What did they say about the actual issue though, as if its not much hard use it may become common?

cyfa2809":1ltreeoo said:
What did they say about the actual issue though, as if its not much hard use it may become common?

Well he took the info on board :? but tbh i dont think they can do anything now.
Perhaps a nylon buffer on the the cam section of the lever would be my suggestion.But even then the design would have to be of a very hard nylon or the lever might up with a spongy feel :?
Just a thought.

I'd heard about Hopes 2nd to none follow ups but my only experience of this was their reluctance to service a set of nos C2's i got.Admittedly they were discontinued but i thought there would be some legal standpoint being still effectively under 1st years guarantee :?
Not so and i was a tad put out by that

Made up for it now i reckon :D and its not like i dont know how to service the C2's myself :oops: Probably had replacement in mind :p

A chance is always a chancer

Interesting stuff as I was thinking of doing the levers on mine. Looking at them I thought it would be easy to hold the piston in with a cable tie and then get the lever off the master cylinder assembly.

What happens to the piston thingy when you remove the lever?

The Hope factory is about a mile from my house and one of the design guys Aston Payne lives down the road, I chat to him every now and then about RB and Hope products and is a really nice chap.

Can not fault there products one bit.
I would not use any other brakes :D

Re: Hope Tech Upgrading issues

dyna-ti":307v0bur said:
I laughingly said Team Green :p :LOL: to which he said Sure. No problem.

You'll be getting the ones from the special edition brakes, I have the M4's on my Salsa Ala Carte.

Latest posts

Back