1980's Shimano Crankset

SNight

Retro Guru
Could someone tell me how to remove a 1980'S Shimano 105 Crankset?

The crank arms have a plastic dust cap over the crank bolt, I thought they just popped off but it looks like they are threaded on?

They have two little holes in both of them, do I need a special tool to remove the caps? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

just unscrew them.
spoke ends, pin spanner, biro ends, thin screwdrivers....
maybe a bit of WD40 in there first.

I had to do this exact thing last night. I used two skewers and twisted them round together. They came off quite easily.

Shimano Crank Tool

Assuming none of the above works, this is the exact Shimano Tool you need....Shimano TL-FC21

They are normally available on Ebay. I got one because my Arabesque Crank Dustcaps were exceptionally tight. Even with this tool quite a bit of force was required. The other end of the tool is used to hold the Chainring Lock nuts while tightening/loosening.

Attachments

• Crank Tool.jpg
    Crank Tool.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 694
Thanks for all the replies everyone, ended up using the two nails in a piece of wood technique! Worked fine, But I'm going to get hold of one of those tools anyway.

I broke the first dust cap trying to take it off with a screwdriver, does anybody know of anywhere to get a replacement?

Thanks again.

Re: Shimano Crank Tool

Ralph_the_Rohan":2ac1g7gz said:
Assuming none of the above works, this is the exact Shimano Tool you need....Shimano TL-FC21

They are normally available on Ebay. I got one because my Arabesque Crank Dustcaps were exceptionally tight. Even with this tool quite a bit of force was required. The other end of the tool is used to hold the Chainring Lock nuts while tightening/loosening.

So that's what the wide side of the tool is for, always wondered that.
Many copies of that are available as well for not a lot.

Back