Kona Kilauea First Build Hack

jitensha

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Is there a formula or an easy way to work out what frame and fork combo will work together? I've got an 18" '94 Kona Kilauea frame on the way and some P2s with 140mm steerer length waiting for it at home.

Are they going to be compatible? Does it depend on the kind of headset I use? I'll be nicking the headset (and everything else) off a '92 Lavadome.

I seem to remember the steerer on the forks of my 18" Hahanna measuring something like 145mm. You've got the forks already, frame is on the way, you're just going to have to try it.

Another bike in the pipeline? You're on the slippery slope my friend ;) .

Hiya Weeman :)

So it's trial and error then. It's just impatience getting the better of me as usual. Hoping for an answer NOW! Thanks for the info on the steerer length. Here's hoping that they'll fit.

Yep, youre not wrong. ever since that DB purchase I seem to be glued to the classifieds. It seems to have become some kind of weird obsession. I'm selling stuff to buy more bike bits. I had no idea that ebay charged so much every time you sell something! 10%? :evil: I owe them tons. It's hardly worth using them really.

Currently trying to build some kind of bike shaped Kona. I'm hoping to do a decent job but it is my first one...

It's not really that trial and error, I'm sure somebody on here (Anthony?) would be able to tell you exactly which steerer sizes suit which size frames.

Looking forward to your build thread, as long as you don't paint it white you won't offend anybody :D .

Re: Matching Kona Forks and Frames

jitensha":2aum3nm0 said:
Is there a formula or an easy way to work out what frame and fork combo will work together? I've got an 18" '94 Kona Kilauea frame on the way and some P2s with 140mm steerer length waiting for it at home. Are they going to be compatible? Does it depend on the kind of headset I use? I'll be nicking the headset (and everything else) off a '92 Lavadome.
That steerer was indeed cut for a size 18 frame. If it's triple-butted and has an axle to crown length of 41cm, it should be fully compatible with a 94 Kilauea. It does depend on the headset type, and the Impact has quite a shallow stack height, so the standard steerer lengths are too short for some other brands of headset. I doubt whether that's a problem for you though, as I assume there isn't much difference between a 92 Impact and a 94.

Re: Matching Kona Forks and Frames

quote]
That steerer was indeed cut for a size 18 frame. If it's triple-butted and has an axle to crown length of 41cm, it should be fully compatible with a 94 Kilauea. It does depend on the headset type, and the Impact has quite a shallow stack height, so the standard steerer lengths are too short for some other brands of headset. I doubt whether that's a problem for you though, as I assume there isn't much difference between a 92 Impact and a 94.[/quote]

Wow, thanks indeed! Great info there and all of it good news :)

I'm not sure im going to do a build thread and its not likely that im going to get anything painted. I am, though, going to ask a bunch of questions whenever I get stuck.

here goes

Well, the Lager Dome is in bits and I'm now wondering why I bothered. I miss it and it was a very useful all rounder that i didnt mind leaving outside the shops.

Anyway, here come the questions I promised. First - whats with these bits on the forks? Theyre part of the headset no? How the hell do I get them off without busting them up?

Attachments

• DSCN0864.jpg
    DSCN0864.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,034
Whose is this frame??

Secondly, who used to own this? Hehe. I got it off ebay the other week.

Ive been looking at the bits coming off the 'dome and thinking that the frame is worth newer shinier stuff. Im gonna use the bars, brakes, thumbies, front mech, BB and cranks for sure. Not sure about the rest. Im thinking of getting modern wheels, seatpost, casette and chainrings.

Attachments

• DSCN0873.jpg
    DSCN0873.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DSCN0876.jpg
    DSCN0876.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DSCN0874.jpg
    DSCN0874.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,029
That looks like the crown race on the top of your forks. They are pressed on and quite tight but you can generally ease them off by working your way around a little at a time with a hammer and old screwdriver (the ultimate bodgers combination).

If you're unsure, take it to your LBS so they can break it for you :D .

Latest posts

Back