Caution...road content! RW Racing with Mavic/Campy

John,

You just need to use your tele time productively...you'd be surprised how many times you can wrap the same section of bar while watching the tour :LOL:

Taking my own advice, I'm putting the 5 hours of mountain stage coverage to use to hand file some miters for a totally old school, full on hand built frame for a friend. Fortunately, it's difficult to file too much on air hardened steel tubing :D

cheers,

rody

Rody,

running exactly the same gear setup as you on the merckx (8 speed campy ergos, mavic rear mech, sachs block) and really cannot get it to work. The shifters seem to be pulling too much cable. Any tips or advice ??!?

John

John,

I assume that when you say that it is pulling too much cable, you are referring to the rear derailleur?

If that is the case, what are you running for a rear freewheel?

The sneeky little bugger that catches most retro guys is this...Campy 8 speed is set to 5.0 mm rear cog spacing. The majority of the fw's out there are shimano 8 speed spaced, which is set at 4.8 mm rear cog spacing. If you throw a shimano spaced 8 speed fw on the rear with Campy ergo, it will skip gears on you, as the lever is progressively pulling too much cable with each shift, moving off the center of the cogs.

So, here's the rub...to shift perfectly, you have to find a Campy spaced fw (made by Sachs and Regina in little quantities) or run a shimano spaced 7 speed (which are factory spaced at 5.0mm) and only use 7 of your 8 available lever positions.

good luck,

rody

Rody,

cheers for the advice.

As you correctly surmise the problem is with the rear mech.

I'm running a 8 speed sachs block. It was sold as being campy spaced, guess it isn't. Never thought to check to be honest. :cry:

Back to the drawing board I guess!

JV

Thanks Jez, thought about a flashy paint job but decided to keep it understated...the charcoal metallic does look nice in the sun though :)

rody

Rody,

sorry to drag this up from the depths.

Still struggling to get my similar setup to run.

I have campag record 8 speed ergos (are yours 8 or 9?), Identical mavic mech and both 7 and 8 speed screw on blocks.

Nothing seems to work! I would've expected the 7 speed block to be 5mm spaced as per your 8 speed block and therefore work the same. Not even close :cry:

Any more ideas...

From looking here http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 it looks like the cable pulls are so different it will never work!

The sachs blocks(7&:cool: used to work with both campag and shimano. Is it something daft like which side the cable goes of the retaining bolt on the mech? Could be worth trying cable either side (if possible)

P20":135yu7rd said:
The sachs blocks(7&:cool: used to work with both campag and shimano. Is it something daft like which side the cable goes of the retaining bolt on the mech? Could be worth trying cable either side (if possible)

I've tried multiple cable routings, including using the 'hubhub' method or something of using the washer of a shimano mech (check the ctc link). Still no joy.

From my understanding it would work with ergos and campag mech or shimano sti with a shimano or mavic mech :?

Back