Anybody got one of these Bromwich thingies?

The 'Bromwich' name is Tom Bromwich of Coventry, a traditional road frame builder of some age[!] who sold the 'Bromwich' name to Jim McIlwaine who carried on building traditional road and tour frames and then produced the MTB frames in a small number.

The design was an amalgamation of experiment and ideas from the members of our local MTB club bitd. A lad called Sean MacConamara did a lot of racing on them and a number of the club members had custom built Bromwich frames. Not sure how many were built originally though, but not that many. They were all hand fillet brazed in 531 or Columbus tubing I think.

The club was called '12inch plus' btw!! Referring of course to the desired BB height of at least a foot off Terra Firma!!

Tom Bromwich used to visit John Atkins shop when I worked there in the late '90s, he was a good old character :D

I have a feeling your Bromwich was a custom build for a lass, hence the small size and the pinky paint job. The frames were fairly costly and the groupset would indicate a bike built to a price that would be later upgraded with better quality parts.

I think it may be a fairly early frame using the original Reynolds 531 AT tube set.

I don't think any of Jims frames were the same as each other, they were constantly tweaked and improved as ideas came along. :D

I have one. Its not really getting built too quickly though. Its not getting built within the next few months in fact. Or years.

Cool fork though, perhaps I should look out for something similar. Maybe.

Any updates for us?

I really really like that and I think it should be a patina build

Exage is fairly easy to find... Maybe pick up a donor bike?

But I'd treat the rust, stick M730 and maybe a 150mm stem on it. I reckon that would be awesome

What happened to this thread?

Back