9 speed 10 speed compatability

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi All,

Pondering a change from 9 to 10 speed and wondering about compatability of rear mechs, shifter, cassettes and chains. :?
I'm currently set for a 1 x 9 with an oldish 11-34 XTR cassette, 9 speed HG93 chain, new m970 shifter and matching rear mech but would like to gently upgrade to a 1 x 10 setup. Obviously the shifter and cassette will need 10 speed bits but would the chain and rear mech still work in such a setup ? The front ring is a Cannondale (FSA) Si type so presume that'll be ok with a 10 speed chain if I need one ?
Also contemplating whether to switch to Sram X0 but heard it can be rather clunky compared to XTR but rather like the carbon on the X0 kit.

I believe your chainring will be ok. A 9 speed chain on 10 speed parts may cause issues. I have yet to find out about mech compatibility but as your chain wont work anyway, may as well get a 10 speed one. I cant see there being a huge difference though really.

I prefer sram as i mentioned in another thread, its clunky but that lets you know you have shifted rather than shimano which can leave you guessing.

hamster":1205l0fr said:
Shimano had to change the pull per click on 10 speed. As a result, you also need a new rear mech.

Ah well looks like I'll have to bite the 10 speed bullet with a full changeover then. Those 10 speed cassettes aren't cheap are they ! So think I'll wait until I've really worn out my current one.

Yes, it's the whole shebang I'm afraid - apart from chainrings.

Annoyingly too, Shimano 10 speed MTB mechs and shifters have a different actuation to the road stuff, so it's a pain if you want to mix and match.

I accident tried a 10 speed mech on a 9 speed system........after a lot of fiddling and utter confusion i realised the mistake! Yep it doesn't work due to the different actuation

If you want to save a few pennies, you could try Rose Bikes for stuff....

I got my SLX 10 speed cassette and Sram chain for less than I could at CRC, even with postage. Was quicker than my last few CRC orders too. My Saint BB was less than UK shops pay trade (£16!).

I'm a big fan of Sram - I like the clunk, I like the fact that they are less sensitive to cable stretch, mud etc.

Back