Iron Horse THS-1 : build finished - Pics/specs on pg. 2

mfh126":1xbdzi0l said:
Nice fab work. What's the purpose of the torque arm? Never seen anything like that on a bike.

I think they surfaced in the late nineties on mostly single-pivot designs. Here's one on Missy's Foes. Got a feeling I've seen them on Kona Stinkys too.

There purpose is to isolate braking forces from the suspension movement, so when the brakes are applied the suspension still works. The Specialized FSR design does this naturally (but don't ask me how :LOL: )

Attachments

• missyfoes.jpg
    missyfoes.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 2,220
really nice frame , in very good shape , i've never seen one of these

congrats. i love all Brent's jewelry

and that shock...

never seen one of these before! looks loverly!

cant wait to see more!!

and yes.. the brake torque arms where a feature on quite a few kona frames..

the effect of the rear disc brake on the suspension action Is often called 'brake jack'

spacehopper":jkn8m5g9 said:
the effect of the rear disc brake on the suspension action Is often called 'brake jack'

You can dial in whether the suspension jacks, squats, or remains neutral when the brake is applied with a FFB (well, almost neutral. It's impossible to make the brake act completely neutral without a very impractical, complex, and heavy multi link system. I had a great PM exchange over on MTBR with Brian from Brake Therapy after I had made the original system for my San Andreas DHS (different multi-position front mount to experiment with placement) back in 99. We threw our ideas about how they work, why they work, optimum pivot point locations, and tuning back and forth. I was amazed at how similar our ideas and thought processes were. Awesome guy to deal with, who's more than happy to share his knowledge with people.

I've been messing around with different fork/stem/bar combos. Ergos still need some fine tuning.

73a3f386.jpg

Back