1989 Merlin Mountain (finally first ride)

Nader":1j0fl9sh said:
very nice Merlin! ;) I didn't know that Merlin also takes U-brake :roll:

Yep. If you look back in the old catalogues and price sheets from 91 you'll see that U-brake was a "no cost" option when ordering a frame, but if you wanted your cables to be routed along the top tube.... you'd be paying.

My legs are hurting just looking at the rear cog though.
Looks like a 11-23T? But I guess you're in Holland so probably not too many hills eh ;)

Hi all,

Thanx for the kind replies :) Very happy with the bike... I always wanted a Merlin, to be honest just for the welding (sooooo smooth) ;-) But I'm so pleasantly surprised with how the bike handles and rides.

Yep, it's an 11-23 cassette. Here in Holland that's perfectly useable (especially in the Utrecht area where everything is flat like a pancake). I also have a larger front ring in the middle (36T). You can really notice the difference between this and i.e. my S-Works with the micro-drive chainset :-D

Serial number is 729 IIRC, it should be a 1989 model. I've bought it off someone on this forum (kokies I believe) and it took me ages to fins stuff to build it up... and I wasn't sure about the Grafton brakes combined with the U-Brake but it works, not too sure about doing a fast downhill on this, but we'll see about that when we get the bike to Limburg, where there's at least some hills ;-)

Dennis

Back