'97 saracen hardtrax 'pics with manitou mars on now'

Good old Saracens! :D

But if your BB shell is 68mm then you are missing one 2.5mm BB spacer on the bike's driveside - it looks that way as I can see the axle.

Raleighracer":2zlkg4xx said:
Do the do ones that will fit that sort of width tyre?

Or any rigid ahead fork?

Im not sure to be honest. More modern ones probably, just need to check the axle crown so you dont turn your bike into a chopper. You would stuggle to get somethign with quill as well, needing to go ahead would mean new forks, headset and stem, not sure if it it worth it to be honest.

It's got a bearing spacer each side, might slip another one in each side? Doesn't feel to be any movement :)

Rode pines red route on it today, beat a couple of fast LOOKING people and my mates, had to adjust the back brake twice to get it sort of right, still needs work :/

Ordering a chain soon to go 9 speed on the back, and I just acquired some drop bars if I ever want another route to take this ;)

But I have seen some carbon risers in the classifieds which should take some buzz out over the steel flats?

Are carbon bars wise on a rigid 'hard used' bike? Or is that my plastic phobia again?

Last of all - big respect to those who ride fast over rough ground on rigids!!!!!!

Raleighracer":qs5fght0 said:
It's got a bearing spacer each side, might slip another one in each side? Doesn't feel to be any movement :)

Good to know but should be 7.5mm of spacers on a 68mm shell, and 2.5mm of spacers on a 73mm shell - there's not really any room for variation on this! :? Though you can put the spacers on which ever side gives you best chainline - I find using a load of 1mm and 1.5mm spacers up to total required gives best results :)

Thanks for that I will investigate, jejames will sell the spacers? If using odd spacing each side will it no be off centre under you? Or can't you tell one mm with flats and stuff?

Well thought I'd write a list of the bits I'm hoping/wanting to change, all depend on money/situation obviously.

Matching xtr left brake lever, with a matching v on the back and front.

Or use a lever and v I've got for now!

Getting a 9 speed chain, got a cassette, gun a use a deore xt drailier off my other bike on this till I've sorted it out, got a shifter to match the front

Hoping to get some Easton carbon risers to. Felt a little low on the front off road, also should add some comfort :D

Can people possibly measure/post a pic of their mtb compared to their mountain bike. Not got much of a clue sizing mtbs :/
Compared to my fixie(not my modern bike not compared them yet) seats same height, bars are a little higher and about in line with the flats on the road bars,seems right, will have to take pics and see what people think :D

Also gun a put the kona grips back on the kona and use the lizard skins off that

On the hunt for a silver front wheel that's half decent, mavic rim of deore hub or something along those lines :)

your LBS should have a few spacers kicking around? No the BB and crank are designed like that, just read the instructions that came with the BB if you don't believe me! :LOL: ;)

I believe you, but the cranks 2nd hand so no instructions ;) got another 2.5mm spacer today though.

For the record jejames dont sell them

Whilst you obviously like the bike and its good to upgrade, is XTR, the top of the range kit, not overkill on what is one of the lower ranged saracens?

Have to agree with Coomber here. The 97 HardTrax originally had an Altus groupset which was pretty much the bottom of Shimano's groupset range at the time.

The frame you have is pretty good and it'll last with it's largely plain gauge Tange tubes. I have a very similar Saracen frame amongst my fleet, albeit a couple of years older, and it's not exactly a lightweight.

XTR and even XT are probably overkill for this bike.
Personally I'd look at STX or STX-RC as a groupset that will complement that bike rather than attempt to flatter it.

Back