Refurbishing late 70s campag

neuroportal

Retro Guru
As title really.

I have a 980 rear, a record front and something campag crank with sugino mighty rings. The crank should polish fine with a bit of autosol, but what about the mechs?

The guilde on the front is a little rusty, though there is good chrome there. THe nuts/screws are all with that fine patina rust you get over years in a dry storage area. Any pitfalls I should know about before I go ahead?

Ta...

Before you try to move any screws give them a few days soak in PlusGas or similar. Depending on how badly mucky the components are with old grease, dirt etc. I give parts a good spray of WD40/GT85, let it soak in, and then use an old toothbrush and rag to clean.

Record front changers will strip down quite easily. Release the spring with some narrow pliers and (if fitted) remove the circlip around the top pivot (not all versions have these). The cage and arms will slide off. If the adjuster screws are free, take them out and clean the springs and screw threads. Give everything a good clean, a smear of grease and re-assemble.

Rear mechs will also strip down but I've never done a 980. Jockey wheels come off, clean, grease and re-assemble. The cage should come off so that the tension spring can be removed and cleaned. Inside the body can be WD40'ed and cleaned out as much as possible.

Basically, just get as much muck off as you can, strip down as far as you can, clean, polish and reassemble with a smear of grease.

Thanks for that.

Im lucky in the fact the whole bike did so little miles that there is no dirt. Just needs cleaning up.

Appreciate the advice.

Back