Sonic?

porschenut911

Retro Guru
Anyone heard of the brand "Sonic"? - theres a Sonic road bike near me half abandoned, Reynolds steel, it has a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra, with Campag cranks so it must be pretty reasonable, looks to be about 15 years old judging by the groupset. Chain is rusted solid

Just curious really.

Yup, build by Helmut Burns at Bikefix, Lamb's Counduit Street, London if it's 90s.
Have you got any pics?

Lovely bloke, very helpful, imported lots of unusual German bits.

Nicely built lugged and lugless steel. Built wheels too...Rodel wavy spokes and such

I don't think he builds frames any more, but still trading:

PO Box 39804, London, W11 4WQ,
Tel: 020 7243 2848

www.soniccycles.co.uk

All the best,

porschenut911":zlvckwy3 said:
Anyone heard of the brand "Sonic"?
As Dan says, and as pictured in "Richard's Ultimate Bicycle Book":

sonic_messenger_c_506.jpg

One or two of the more successful London couriers rode them when I was a messenger in the mid nineties.

danson67":2hhhemxz said:
Yup, build by Helmut Burns at Bikefix, Lamb's Counduit Street, London if it's 90s.
Have you got any pics?

Lovely bloke, very helpful, imported lots of unusual German bits.

Nicely built lugged and lugless steel. Built wheels too...Rodel wavy spokes and such

I don't think he builds frames any more, but still trading:

PO Box 39804, London, W11 4WQ,
Tel: 020 7243 2848

www.soniccycles.co.uk

All the best,

Helmut isn't in the framebuilding game any more but does still turn out excellent handbuilt wheels; he did the ones on my road and 'cross bikes.

+1 for his extremely helpful service too.

David

I had two Sonics in the early 90s. Still have one of them in the garage - Columbus tubing, one piece stem and bars, all fillet brazed. Has very short chainstays, so climbed better than anything I've ridden. Weighs 3.5 lbs, which was super light for an MTB frame back then.

JP

jjprestidge":1uu3sr9y said:
I had two Sonics in the early 90s. Still have one of them in the garage - Columbus tubing, one piece stem and bars, all fillet brazed.
We need to see pictures! Detailed pictures.

one-eyed_jim":xb8icehs said:
jjprestidge":xb8icehs said:
I had two Sonics in the early 90s. Still have one of them in the garage - Columbus tubing, one piece stem and bars, all fillet brazed.
We need to see pictures! Detailed pictures.

It's in my parents' garage at the moment, together with a load of other ancient kit rusting away. Bit of a shame, really, but I only have space for one bike at the moment, and the Sonic has been cannibalised for parts over the years.

JP

He's a brilliant guy.. he did my single speed frame years ago.. I seem to remember I had to go to a bike shop, walk through the back and up some stairs to find him.. I remember him having some awesome flower pattern wheels too.

Rode that very SS last night funnily enough..

Back