My 1975 Holdsworth

jules_b

Old School Hero
I thought I would show off my Holdsworth Cyclone which I have been working on for the last couple of weeks. I bought it off this lovely chap who had a bit of a gold mine of bikes but this was by far the one that I had to take! It has been sitting around for the last 37 years doing nothing so it is in good nick but I have been hunting for one of these for the last 10 years so I immediately had a pretty accurate picture of what I wanted to do with it. I left it 5 speed as I have never had one before and actually really like the simplicity of it.

Interestingly it came with its original receipt (£126.84 back then), from the Holdsworth shop in Sept 1975 and it was bought with a cyclometer which showed 60 miles on the clock which is apparantly all it had ever done (now has 270). From the frame number I reckon it was built around 1973 though.

It's current spec:-

Reynolds 531
Campagnolo Nuovo Record Derailleur
Campagnolo Record chainset made into a single (with a bit of customising on the bolts) 52 teeth to give me a bit of speed and torque
Weinneman Brakes (original soon to be replaced by Campagnolo Super Record - drill hole levers and brakes - tasty)
Brooks Swift Saddle
Brooks leather bar tape
GB Handle bars - original

Thats it for now. Plus blue, white and red is very fitting for jubilee year. Bike itself is in awesome condition although some very light surface rust in some areas. Def do not want to spray it although the perfectionist side of me keeps tempting me. Looking to find some more lightweight wheels eventually, Campy skewers, Campy seatpost and the brakes.

Soon to be taking it on a vintage ride with my rugby club and very confident that it will be a breeze although I may need to break in my saddle first!!

Here are the pics but wish we had a bit better weather to photo it in the sun!!!

7366400608_dff8f1093b_c.jpg

7366400718_4d7e5d1893_b.jpg

7366400720_90f8731349_b.jpg

7173902339_477836f239_b.jpg

7366400730_5f67790962_b.jpg

7366400596_fcbeb01bd7_b.jpg

Lovely thing....

..I always put some proofhide on the tape,vas well as the saddle......it darkens it a bit,but keeps it cleaner and stops the sweat marks from darkening it too much.

As above

Really lovely, especially nice to see an original in such good condition.
Great find.
Ride and enjoy :cool:

Jamie

Love it. That paint scheme is timeless, the people who design todays paint jobs need to have a look back at, and learn from, these classics

Thankyou for your comments. looking forward to spending a lot of time with her when the weather improves.

the bar tape is supposed to be the same colour as the seat so will proof hide darken it?

Llewellyn":24mp25oo said:
Love it. That paint scheme is timeless, the people who design todays paint jobs need to have a look back at, and learn from, these classics

I agree totally. Everything today is either black & red, red, red, and white. Totally pisses me off.

otherself":2ew3wfot said:
Llewellyn":2ew3wfot said:

I agree totally. Everything today is either black & red, red, red, and white. Totally pisses me off.

x2.

Latest posts

Back