Raleigh Activator 2 is this the right section?

Let's just take it for what it is: lowest possible shifting quality with pressed steel mechs, no rear mount for the mech it bolted directly to the wheel. Rustless spokes with bolt through hubs. 1" quill stem and steel bars with a 1 1/18 headset reducer in that way that only raleigh could do. Then it was li-chi finest resin brakes on a fork that came with inbuilt fork waddle and latteral movement that made the wheel judder or try and disappear under the BB. You could rock a brand new bike backwards and forwards a good inch from newly assembled. Then cam e the steel cranks and plastic pedal combo and the big chunky six speed chain.

They can still be found in Tesco under different names. Their legacy should be 'this is a succsessful marketing ploy' to any adventurous businessman but 'to be avoided' by any cyclist with even the slightest passion or interest in what they ride.

legrandefromage":1lfvxj1a said:
Let's just take it for what it is: lowest possible shifting quality with pressed steel mechs, no rear mount for the mech it bolted directly to the wheel. Rustless spokes with bolt through hubs. 1" quill stem and steel bars with a 1 1/18 headset reducer in that way that only raleigh could do. Then it was li-chi finest resin brakes on a fork that came with inbuilt fork waddle and latteral movement that made the wheel judder or try and disappear under the BB. You could rock a brand new bike backwards and forwards a good inch from newly assembled. Then cam e the steel cranks and plastic pedal combo and the big chunky six speed chain.

They can still be found in Tesco under different names. Their legacy should be 'this is a succsessful marketing ploy' to any adventurous businessman but 'to be avoided' by any cyclist with even the slightest passion or interest in what they ride.

And your thoughts on the Matra Rancho??? C'mon looks good in Green ;)

Buy it ride it around a bit and when you come to your senses weigh it in at a scrappy and get more than you paid :LOL:

my uncle had one of these from new he gave it to me to service and after only one year the suspension was knackered beyond repair all i can really remember was the enormous weight of the thing use it as a training bike because any bike you use after it will feel soooo light

Jussa":3njlf8ye said:
I dont think he's desperate to sell as he hasnt even brought it yet, but then if you are offering something nice for £25 entice us all!!!!

What bike can you offer for £25?? Time to step up to the mark Beagle :)

Oh and a good morning to you :D

I'm not offering a bike for £25, although I'm sure it's possible to find a better bike given a £25 budget. The point was more "if you're going to spend £25 on something of questionable value, there are many ways to go about it."

No offence meant Jussa (or any other Activator II owners out there).

Wasn't it the Matra-Simca Rancho? And didn't they also make the Bagheera? :cool:

And isn't an Activator the Landrover of the Retrobike movement? :LOL:

I saw a Rancho a few weeks ago at a car show. One of 10 left according to its owner. Simca 1300 underpinnings. No off road ability at all, just a styling job, so in many ways an apt comparison.

Back